Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

can i buy something to make my LEDs pulse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i buy something to make my LEDs pulse?

well, i have some blue and red leds and i have them rigged up to a toggle..but that means they just stay solid..and i want them to pulse to match my strobes..is there something i can buy that will like cut the current and bring it bakc on rapidly? or am i just stuck with solid.

sorry, i can wire stuff up, but i dont know much about doing anything else.

thanks!

JD-

Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Default RE: can i buy something to make my LEDs pulse?

thats about as illegal as anything i have ever heard.. im pretty sure thats a impersonating a police officer arrest waiting to happen, everywhere i have lived i believe that any lights red or blue, flashing on a car better be a LEO car or bike or its not legal..

i think.. could be wrong though.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Yeah, probably illegal. However, I've never seen a cop on a cbr. That would be cool though.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:16 PM

i know its illegal.. but i use em in my car to mess with my friends when no one else is around.the srobes just arent bright enough for my bike..so i wanna wire 3 red and 3 blue leds to flash..just cant figure out how.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM

^^ i think its a problem best avoided ^^

This is from legal match.com

Is it Illegal to Impersonate a Police Officer?

It is a crime to falsely impersonate a police officer, a federal officer or employee, or any other public official. Although the laws vary from state to states, many states also consider it a crime to use equipment used by law enforcement officers, such as red and blue flashing lights. It also may be a crime to flash a fake police badge. Possession of a firearm also can enhance the penalty for false impersonation of a police officer.

What are the Penalties for Impersonating a Police Officer?
Depending on state law, impersonating a police officer may be considered either a felony or a misdemeanor. Punishments for impersonating a police officer include:
[ul][*]Imprisonment up to five years (sometimes more)[*]Fines (usually $1000 or more)[*]Probation[*]Permanent criminal record[/ul]
just a bad idea ..

Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM

i make sure when i do something illegal its not going to stay on my record 1, 2 its not a felony..

Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM

wow...maybe ill just do blue pulsing..i am a cadedt on our local fire dept. and we are allowed to flash blue light while heading to the firehall..so maybe ill replae the red parts with all blue and use em in an emergency only...dont need to spend 5 years in jail for some strobe lights[&:]

Old 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM

t=RC, Tau=Restsitor*Capacitor where Tau is your time constant. 1T is right around 63-65% of your total voltage build in the capacitor. so take your resistor in Ohms, multiply by capacitance in farads and multiply by ~2, thatll give you time for one pulse.. from that you can get whatever frequency you want. if you have your resistors for your LED's already worked out then work backwards with the desired time between flashes and resistance to find the capacitor you need. PM me a diagram and ill give you better advice if youde like. just because its illegal doesnt mean the info should be out there! good luck bro!

JASON: did you paint the inside of your headlight housing?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM

not quite sure what your talking about with the headlight housing..but i didnt paint anything around there.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 PM

theres the black part and the silver part in your headlight housing.. it looked more of a flat black than what i thought mine was, so i thought you painted to match.