Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buell wins AMA sportbike....wooohoooo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buell wins AMA sportbike....wooohoooo.

And all it took was a bike that had 525cc's more , 20hp more, and double the torque of the competitors to pull it off by 5 points..... YEAH.... way to go Eric Buell... You got quite the machine there.

rant over

congrats to Eslick though. He is a good rider and a very humble.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't Buell start out making tractors ?
I think they use the same exhaust system, still...............

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 AM

I seem to remember something about that tractor thing.

But really? He won? I don't even see how that is possible. I even watch a fair amount of bike racing and that snuck up on me big time.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait just a second ... I remember 20 pages of thread with every swinging d*ck on here with a 600 explaining to me how my fat pig of a 1000 had too much power and weight and I couldn't use it and the 600s were faster in the twisties. This even though the main idiot in that thread had 12 second slower times at Road Atlanta than I did. Guess it's too straight up there I made the argument that a Kawi 250 ninja oughta beat everything if that was the case. Heck, it's lighter than a 600 and has much less power.

Personally, I think the 2 bangers oughta race in their own category ... period. Do like a 24hrs at Daytona type deal and put everybody on the track and let the classes battle it out.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM

When AMA was taken over, it really got screwed up. the racing is more competive, but its not the same as it was. There is some kind of tie between Buell and the new owners of AMA. They basically made it so Buell would win no matter what, and they still almost didn't. They had interviews with Eric Buell for 2 or 3 races,.. like 15 minute long interviews, Buells are now the pace bikes... It all smells aweful fishy.

I dont really hate Buells, just the fact that they bent the rules so much for the buells it was rediculous. Buells have thier place, but its not in racing.

Oh, and if you followed it all.. the Buell couldn't keep up in the corners. the only time the Buell ever won a race was on a track that had more striaghts than curves. Otherwise it finished quite aways back. It was just sickening to watch too. the buell would get passed, then a straight away would come and it would shoot past the other riders and pull 8-10 bike lenths.... not exagerating either, then it would hold up the other bikes until the next straight away. And you know its the bike because Eslick is a great rider, so it wasnt the rider holding the bike back, it was the bike holding the rider back.

In my honest opinion, the real winner this year was Josh Herring on the R6.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
The whole buell thing is a f'ing joke. IU=f you can't compete following the same guidelines and rules that everyone else has to obey then you shouldn't be there at all. Screw harley and screw buell. Piece of s%^t bikes should be competing with liter bikes not the 600's. The fact that it can't means it's garbage and not competitive, not that it needs to be allowed to race bikes with half it's displacement and torque. Who the f'ing hell ever thought this was a good idea? The fact that buell won doesn't mean nearly as much to me than the fact that they had to race against bikes with half their displacement to do it. Total bs.

If it's even possible this lowers my opinion of buell's even more.
Same thing the NHRA did with Harleys for them to start winning. They were allowed less weight, more CC's, and FI. They let them rule the roost with record after record year after year.

When every team using a foreign engine complained for a couple years they had to do something to narrow it a bit. They added a little weight and I think they made them drop the compression a little. Then NHRA allowed Harley to introduce a new head design and they went back to being dominant and setting record after record. They let them do this despite the fact that the foreign bikes also had a new head design they wanted to use. They were denied for a couple of years. I think they are using it now and the racing is a little closer.

I think NHRA in motorcycle racing is just HD marketing.

Last edited by Wolf1; 09-14-2009 at 05:00 PM.