Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another moment spent in N00b-Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another moment spent in N00b-Time

Was bringing my Rain back from NJ after replacing the clutch / brake levers. Had a friend running interference for me since it bogged so badly getting up there. We make it to Philly with some major bogging (though she kept an overall speed around 70 mph). And she stalls out about a mile from my house...

So I'm over on the side of the road scratching my head. Engine temp is excellent. I noticed an oil leak when I checked the bike but she still had plenty of oil. Battery is good and she tries to start but won't. My bud and I are there so long an ambulance stopped to check if I was ok after passing us around the block twice, thinking it had been an accident (my helmet hid my jaw dropping). Finally something kicks in my brain and I go to move the petcock to Reserve...

Only to find it's already in the Reserve position (don't remember doing that). Check the tank and yeap: bone dry

When's the last time you spent a moment in the N00b-light Zone?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've done this when i 1st got my f3 too.. never made that mistake again.. i felt like such a jack ***.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it when i first got my F2. Was cruising along and the bike died out. I couldnt figure it out so i called my dad to so he could come get me in the truck. Ten mins later i happend to smack the tank and heard it empty! haha thank god for reserve

Old 09-06-2009, 03:21 PM

They hardly ever run well that way.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank god the ambulance had already pulled off when I figured it out. They stopped with full lights and siren too so it woulda been massively embarassing instead of just majorly embarassing in front of my friend.

We were 2 blocks from a gas station so I walked it up there. He went ahead while I walked it down the sidewalk and came back to help. I said "No, this is my penance for stupidity"

Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM

I'll be a n00b... which way is "reserve" and which way is "fuel"? I've got a 95 F3 and you cannot believe how much time I've spent searching the internet without a conclusive answer.. In fact, I found this thread in one of my many searches over the past couple of weeks...

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least it's only a couple of bucks to fix

I've been there with the kill-switch , trying to figure out why it wont start , untill the penny finally drops

Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
At least it's only a couple of bucks to fix

I've been there with the kill-switch , trying to figure out why it wont start , untill the penny finally drops

That's why I NEVER use the kill switch. Easier for me to remember one thing instead of two.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Worst was... Second week I actually rode...
Sitting at a stop light and thought I had my bike in 1st.. Tried to take off about 3 times and stalled every time... Before finally realizing that I was in 2nd.. worked a little better after that

Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Heck Jennifer, when I first got mine, I pulled over in a hurry for some reason and then took off. It seemed a little slow to get going, but then it wouldn't upshift at all. I took off in 6th. Now THAT'S power.

Quick Reply: Another moment spent in N00b-Time