Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bought a new CBR 600RR.. Didint see this coming!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bike. Yea, I'm sure the seller didn't know anything about the stolen VIN and totally plans on paying you back. If anything, he did a great acting job and preparation on his story to cover his tracks.

If he is a victim just like you, he would show some effort in helping you and the police back tracking to the previous sellers. BTW , Mtuned, what city and state are you in. These things are all too common here in Socal.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm confused - how would a carfax with a valid vin fail?

wait - never mind - it'd have found the real bike was somewhere else... and perhaps even a different colour scheme.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1. No offense to PG, but a carfax wouldn't have helped in this situation...that is, if this is actually the case as the OP has informed us. Too, my experience w/ carfax is that its not as up to date & accurate as the commercials would have us believe. Its foulable as many databases are. Its only as accurate as its entries that are made to it...which are rarely kept up-to-the-minute...or day, etc. Its not a end-all-be-all to the history of a vehicle...instead, its just one tool in making a decision.

Also, this is not a case of 'receipt of stolen goods' as you *in good faith* made what you thought was a legal purchase. You need to contact as many lawyers as possible til you find someone to help you. Contact the district attorney in your area & explain the situation. Call the mayor's office. Contact your local media to do a story. Most local news stations are interested in human-interest stories. They get attention...& may get attention from someone who can give you help.

Most importantly, don't sit back & wait for people to get back to you...get on the stick as quickly as you can & irritate as many people as you can til something gets done about it.

Ultimately, you're trying to get your money back from the seller you bought it from. However you need to go about doing that (if possible), you need to act quickly.

I really hate to hear these types of stories. I wish you all the best. Keep us informed.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM

here in florida , i got burned on a boat about 7 years ago , seller seemed cool, bought boat($600), got to the tag agency and was told this boat is stolen...well damn it..i asked for the name of the owner , got it and called the guy and told him what had happened and he said im in my 80's now and could care less anymore about it, i sent him the title and he signed it over to me..it olny took two and a half years..LOL..the moral to all this is now , i olny buy from peeps willin to meet me at the DMV to do the title and IF the title clears ill hand over the money on the spot...this new way of doin things paid off big. i tried to buy a yam YZF600 with 1200mi in mint for 1500 bucks--went to the the dmv and bam..the thing wasnt even his..Iwalked away smillin...good luck with all this bro..

Old 03-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mtuned
So On 1/19/10 I purchased a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR Orange And Black tribal off of craiglist, Before buying the bike i went to sellers home checked the bike, test ride, title, vin, inspected everything!

Bike looked super great minus missing the oem colored front headlight fairing, this was replaced with a black one. But i was given the original plastic which only had a very small crack.

I paid 3750 for it with 16500 miles.

Get it home wax it up drop off original fairing to body shop to get fixed.

So I am very **** about anything i buy when it comes to maintance and i can do it myself but im a firm beilver of going to the dealership to get this done. OEM filter / seeing these bikes daily and so forth.

Well i had them do a 32 point inspection and oil change they call me and say the bike was GREAT! So i load the truck up goto dealer...

Now this is were **** hits the fan.

Upon walking in i was greeted by a sherrif. He asked me to come in the room and talk to him.

At this point a million things are going through my head.

He procceds to tell me that the bike was stolen! It was taken from st pete FL and someone had revinned the bike with a salvaged bikes title! He stated the vin job looked very good and most bike buyers would not pick up on this!

So now he is tracing back to see were and who did this. We contacted the guy who i bought it from who says he dont have my money that he bought a new bike for 3900 and had to burrow money and he doesnt have a cent to his name now!

He says he bought it from a fireman for 3k. a month ago! IMO no one sells a bike after owning it one month unless you found out something funny!

SO now im out 3750 and the dream bike that i've always wanted!

Im glad that who ever originally owned the bike has gotten the chance to see there bike again.. But WTF now i have no bike and no money.

I know craiglist is evil, but i mean it could not get more legit. Brought me into his home. Showed me bike. Test drive. Showed me title!

I really do not know what to do! Im not rich by any means! Me and my girlfriend have been saving up for 2 years in our bike fund to get a bike.. And now we lost everything!
sorry to hear that thats a shame..well if i can help i use to deal with repos and such..first get every bit of the police report u can get all the way back from where the bike was origally stolen..second go to a lawyer , u might not need them for the actual court hearing but its good to know where u stand legally in your state..third file a lawsuit, from what u have said u have a pretty strong case against the guy who sold u the bike(once agian a lawyer would know)..lastly if u win because in alot of cases people try and stick u on payin..put a lien on the title of the new bike u say he bought which u will be able to do after u offically win a lawsuit..and have the bike repo'd..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM

I keep seeing people say its your fault because you didn't do a car fax or take it to the courthouse or whatever. That wouldn't have made a difference. They switched the vin tag so of coarse it would come out clean. You should try and get on one of those tv court shows. I'll be you would get the money then.
Also I notice there has been no update for about a month. Any updates for us?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dutchmasta2004
sorry to hear that thats a shame..well if i can help i use to deal with repos and such..first get every bit of the police report u can get all the way back from where the bike was origally stolen..second go to a lawyer , u might not need them for the actual court hearing but its good to know where u stand legally in your state..third file a lawsuit, from what u have said u have a pretty strong case against the guy who sold u the bike(once agian a lawyer would know)..lastly if u win because in alot of cases people try and stick u on payin..put a lien on the title of the new bike u say he bought which u will be able to do after u offically win a lawsuit..and have the bike repo'd..
Sounds like some solid advice right there.

I'd love to hear an update on this... hope things are working out for you dude...

Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Just a thought i can be just like everyone else and be a lawyer here in the CBR court room. Definitaly take him to court as being military myself he has a lot of people that are going to be jumping down his throat once it makes it throu his chain of command. Plus if he is found guilty of selling stolen property you will get you money from his pay check from the military. Wasn't smart on his behalf to not go through a throw back ground on it.

Second is it is his obligation to go after the person that sold him the bike. Just because he bought it then turning it over to you doesn't mean you have to bit the finacial bullet.

And an update to this story would be great.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 PM

I say take the seller to small claims. He is at fault, no matter what his story.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:47 PM

I think the guy may have known more then he was letting on, that price is a little bit too reasonable.