Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bought a new CBR 600RR.. Didint see this coming!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a new CBR 600RR.. Didint see this coming!

So On 1/19/10 I purchased a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR Orange And Black tribal off of craiglist, Before buying the bike i went to sellers home checked the bike, test ride, title, vin, inspected everything!

Bike looked super great minus missing the oem colored front headlight fairing, this was replaced with a black one. But i was given the original plastic which only had a very small crack.

I paid 3750 for it with 16500 miles.

Get it home wax it up drop off original fairing to body shop to get fixed.

So I am very **** about anything i buy when it comes to maintance and i can do it myself but im a firm beilver of going to the dealership to get this done. OEM filter / seeing these bikes daily and so forth.

Well i had them do a 32 point inspection and oil change they call me and say the bike was GREAT! So i load the truck up goto dealer...

Now this is were **** hits the fan.

Upon walking in i was greeted by a sherrif. He asked me to come in the room and talk to him.

At this point a million things are going through my head.

He procceds to tell me that the bike was stolen! It was taken from st pete FL and someone had revinned the bike with a salvaged bikes title! He stated the vin job looked very good and most bike buyers would not pick up on this!

So now he is tracing back to see were and who did this. We contacted the guy who i bought it from who says he dont have my money that he bought a new bike for 3900 and had to burrow money and he doesnt have a cent to his name now!

He says he bought it from a fireman for 3k. a month ago! IMO no one sells a bike after owning it one month unless you found out something funny!

SO now im out 3750 and the dream bike that i've always wanted!

Im glad that who ever originally owned the bike has gotten the chance to see there bike again.. But WTF now i have no bike and no money.

I know craiglist is evil, but i mean it could not get more legit. Brought me into his home. Showed me bike. Test drive. Showed me title!

I really do not know what to do! Im not rich by any means! Me and my girlfriend have been saving up for 2 years in our bike fund to get a bike.. And now we lost everything!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Get a lawyer imeadiatly!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 AM

And what did they use as proof that the bike was stolen if it had a clear titled frame? There are many tribal 600rr out there so why did pick up on this one ... you located close to St. Pete or something? I know I wouldn't be happy with the officials taking something I just paid for without some specifics being spelled out in front of me.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your miserable experience. Would like to hear more on this as it develops. I would be filing charges on the seller...as well as a lawsuit to get money back from him.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I would agree get a lawyer and be contacting the original seller he is liable.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1
Sorry to hear...hopefully you can get some of your money back

Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Get a lawyer dude. Dealing in stolen property is a crime and the seller not having the money does not remove liability. Get. a. lawyer. I would think that the cop would have told you how to proceed with this...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

this is where a carfax would have paid off.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
October 2011 ROTM

+ 1million to getting a lawyer but I think you already know that. If he turned around and bought a bike for $3900 then he should be able to sell it for about that and you should get your money back. I am no lawyer myself but I would imagine it is illegal for you to not get the bike or your money back. Good luck man. I would have to kill someone.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Hey guys, Ive been trying to post but its been giving me errors!

Quick Reply: Bought a new CBR 600RR.. Didint see this coming!