Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best Security for my Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...it's been few years ago since I purchase my disc lock. I just search eBay and find some as cheap as $9.95 free shipping (of course cheap made in China chit) costly one can cost up to $99+. Disc lock are made larger in diameter, therefore if thief wants to cut lock, they must bring a big *** bolt cutter & those ain't cheap. And if parking area has lots of foot traffic, doubt thief would want to walk around with a bolt cutter...LOL...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daniels
That is an awesome idea! I am going to look into it. Wouldn't be much to put that switch in and hide it on the bike.

We have an onsite police officer and I mentioned it too him once he came in but didn't seem too concerned about it. Like i said stuff like this isn't all that unusual around here lol.

The area we park the motorcycles in is basically a huge sidewalk so foot traffic is pretty steady around it. I don't see anyone getting close enough with a van/truck to pick up the bike, well at least without being noticed. Even then for only 15 - 30 bucks a disc lock safety doesn't sound like a bad investment tho.
My first question is; you don't have a lock at all??

Secondly, don't pay just 15-30 bucks on a disk lock. Something that cheap is probably ****. Get a properly rated one, they aren't that much more. I don't know about you but my insurance requires me to have a (at least) ART4 rated lock.

Lastly, alarm with pager (and proximity sensor). SPY 5000 (which I have), Scorpio i800 (I think it's the i800, ask Yumi about this alarm) etc. Alarms are cheap anyway.

Leaving a bike somewhere with just the ignition lock is asking for trouble IMO.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
My first question is; you don't have a lock at all??

Secondly, don't pay just 15-30 bucks on a disk lock. Something that cheap is probably ****. Get a properly rated one, they aren't that much more. I don't know about you but my insurance requires me to have a (at least) ART4 rated lock.

Lastly, alarm with pager (and proximity sensor). SPY 5000 (which I have), Scorpio i800 (I think it's the i800, ask Yumi about this alarm) etc. Alarms are cheap anyway.

Leaving a bike somewhere with just the ignition lock is asking for trouble IMO.
I know luck favors the prepared but I honestly I have never felt the need up until now. It is garage kept at home and if I do take it out somewhere(a restaurant 4 example) I make sure I can always see her from the window. At work is the only time that I am truly without contact or in sight of her for a large portion of the day. My eyes are open now tho and I am def. going to add some deterrents.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that piece of paper he was writing on would have been mine without a doubt then burned right in front of him if he was still awake unless he had good reason and it better have been a really good reason