Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best Basketball Player Ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that going solely based on championships is just silly, Robert Horry, perennial 6th or 7th man comming off the bench has 7... yes 7 rings and is no where near an all time great

Originally Posted by dawoonj
If I had to pencil some more in, I would say...

Larry Bird
Magic
Bill Russell (11 championships!!)
Kareem
Still not Kobe yet.... Let's see if he can win more than one championship without Shaq!!
how can you say kobe is not on the list because he hasnt gotten a ring without shaq but you put two guys... Magic and Kareem on the list, who played on the SAME TEAM. Talk about who can and cant win with who... most of these all time greats had a side kick. If LBJ won this year i would put him up there cause hes got NOTHING haha.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Munson
Based on championships it's Bill Russell, not even close.

Based on statistics it's Wilt Chamberlain, not even close.

You really can't compare eras. Players are more athletic now, and probably play tougher defense. But back then you weren't allowed to turn the ball over on every dribble, or take three steps when driving to the basket, the way players do now.

+1
Well said.

A note on Wilt: When the media claimed he was nothing but a "giant" who could only score at the end of the '66-'67 season, he made a promise to lead the league in assists the following year. He not only did this (702) but also in rebounds and fg %.
If the league would have tracked blocks as a stat in Wilt's time, he would have averaged a triple-double a game. Simply amazing.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Michael Jordan without a doubt.

But had there never been a MJ, I think Hakeem Olajuwon would have been the best player ever. Unfortunately, he was constantly over shadowed by the slightly better, and much more publicized MJ.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM

I would say MJ, but playing off an earlier post, you take away scottie, Horace, and even ole Dennis and MJ would be as frustrated as Kal Malone and John Stockton.

Jordan benifited from great Teammates, opponents, and publicity. I don't there was ever or ever will be a larger marketing machine than "being like mike". He also played the greats that were dieing off and the rookies that have become great.

That being said he had to be there and walk through the door and make it happen. That is why he is the greatest of all time.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 AM

MJ of course; he got to meet bugs bunny

Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM

I saw MJ play baseball in Jacksonville, FL, he was bad at the plate, but awesome in the outfield. Nothing went over the wall on him. Spacejam was 10x better than Kazzaam, which is why MJ is better than Shaq(although Shaq is awesome!!(just in case he is reading this))

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Stats and impact on elevating the overall game, I'd say Michael Jordan. But I like Magic cause he made everyone around him better.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 AM

bryon russell...MJ stopper....

hahaha

jk!!!

right now...it's kobe....the last 2 decades MJ....whole NBA history...MJ/Jerry West...

Jerry West is the logo...haha

Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ynks4evr
i think that going solely based on championships is just silly.

Toally. Championships are awarded to teams, not players. All of you who voted Jordan need to go compare his stats to all the other greats. the only reason his point totals are so high is because he took more shots. The number of shots he actually MADE is pretty average among the NBA of the time.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Are we talking pre doulbe retirement stats of MJ or post, there is a huge difference. There were a lot that said he should not come back for that reason.