Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

stupid CD player

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid CD player

I recently got a CD player for my civic, installed it, and blew the fuse to the radio/cig lighter, replaced the fuse, lighter works, but not the stero? I tried hooking up my old radio to see if maybe the new one was bad, and its the same, no power...any ideas? I was thinking of just taking the pwr cables from my lighter and running them to the radio...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stupid CD player

Don't... - Otherwise your batt will go dead. - My guess - you have another fuse blown. - check for power at the radio plug - should be +12 on at least 2 of the terminals when the key is on (One for clock/memory, one for actual radio power that is switched). - Often times the radio will have a wiring diagram on the top/back imprinted - that would be a good place to start.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Look for any burnt up wires on you CD player, but you shouldnt have that. There should be an inline fuse on you CD player somewhere to protect from that, so that fuse ios probably blown.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM

From what i remeber (I had 7 different civics) there is 2 fuses that run the radio.. Check to see if your dome light is working. If so then just start pulling all the fuses and check them all.

Just remeber that it blew for a reason so replacing it again will most likely not solve the problem. Like said above check for any burnt looking wires and go over all your wiring again.

Did you use a harness or hard wire it?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

I removed the old cd player, and someone just hacked off the orig harness...so I hard wired it.....I think i blew the fuse cause I disconnected the battery terminal, but when I went to hook it back up, it was touching the terminal...so when I cut the wires it could have shorted that out...

I only see 1 fuse for the radio, all the other fuses are for something completely diff, my dome light works, cig lighter works, so I know it is atleast getting power at the fuse box...the lighter is also switched so it wouldnt be on all the time....

the wires from what i can see are not burnt, well where I can actually see them they look good anyways, doesnt mean they arent.

this is a 94 civic...wish the orig harness was still on there....makes hooking wires up so much easier, instead of dealing with 2" of wire to work with...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

I only see 1 fuse for the radio, all the other fuses are for something completely diff,

This is what i was getting at, The fuse may not be labled "Radio" but it is in some way inline with it.. Just start pulling fuses and see that they are all ok

Only thing i can recomend after this is to runa wire directly from the radio power (red wire) to a empty spot on your fuse panel. using one of these and an inline fuse
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM

When checking the fuses, remember that there are some under the hood too

Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM

there are not any under the hood for the radio, there are 2 under the hood, one is a 50A, other might be for wipers or something...I checked all the fuses, all good. the car doesnt have power anything so not many fuses

I was trying to find and actual wiring diagram for the car, but no luck....I hooked up the switched pwr from the lighter and the radio works fine....I dunno...hate wiring issues in cars...there always so hard to trace.

thanks for the prompt answers! i tried on this hondacivic forum, but if it doesnt have to do with a muffler or intake, then there no help

Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

I was trying to find and actual wiring diagram for the car, but no luck....

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/HA-Wiring.pdf

Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Did you hook up the 12v Ignition wire? Your radio won't turn on w/o that hooked up. Also, an easy way to check fuses w/o pulling htem out is checking it w/ an ohm meter if you have one handy...
If your tired of splicing wires all the time, you could find an old civic factory harness and hook that back up.

Quick Reply: stupid CD player