Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

xbox hd dvd player

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xbox hd dvd player

i just got the hd player for my 360 since they dropped the price. it looks so great to watch movies in hd now. what i was wondering is can you play blue ray discs on it or just the hd dvd discs? i would guess no but im not sure. i was reading online that hd dvd is not doing so well and blue ray is getting stronger and stronger. thanks for any help in advance.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 AM
DC5
Default RE: xbox hd dvd player

I also have it, and it won't play Blu-Rays. At this point, Blu-Ray has pretty much won the HD war. Now I gotta buy a PS3

Old 02-17-2008, 11:28 AM

hopefully xbox will release a blue ray player cause i refuse to buy a ps3. good thing there are still plenty of hd dvd's out there to keep me busy.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Not to be rude, but that probably wasn't the smartest idea, being that Blu-Ray has unofficially won the HD war. The reason it was so cheap is because microsoft and toshiba are trying to push more sales to keep the HD DVD market alive. But it's not going to happen with Warner Bros. / Best Buy / Wal-Mart / and the **** industry only producing blu-ray movies. Soon Paramount and Universal will be out of their contract with HD DVD once Toshiba comes to conclusions that they have lost the war. Anyway just letting you know, hopefully you can return it. You just spent money on a player that doesn't even produce 1080p either. The XBOX 360 HD DVD addon only displays 1080i. Incase you didn't know that either. Have a nice day!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Gonna sound like an *** but did it say Blu Ray on the box.....................no.

Toshiba just announced they are stopping production of HD disc. Do I hear a HD dvd SALE?!

I'm gonna wait on a price drop on the multi format dvd players.

How much did you pay for it?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Did you get a 5 free HD dvd movie form? Here's a print out.

http://assets.xbox.com/en-US/hardwar...HDDVDOffer.pdf

Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the fact that Blu-ray is getting stronger and stronger. It's the fact that Blu-ray already won (about a month ago.) Once Warner Bros. signed exclusively to Blu-ray, it was THE deathblow to HD DVD. At that point, it could have gone either way, but once Warner Bros. signed, Blu-ray now had 75% of the studios.

Toshiba announced defeat of HD DVD. Walmart is no longer carrying HD DVD as of June, same goes for Best Buy and Circuit City.

So if anyone asks, Blu-ray has won (largely due to their deep pockets). I'm not happy about it at all. I would have much rather have seen HD DVD win since it was the inexpensive, more dependable and upgradeable format. But whomever was running the marketing for HD DVD deserves to be fired. THAT is why they failed so badly.........extremely poor marketing.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Ya, $30 for a blu movie. Give me a break. Of course Sony is always one of the most expensive in any of hteir products.

You also have to notice that its not just about movies. The new gen of dvd's is gonna be the PC format too. Blu can hold a **** load more than a HD dvd and it has some format that companies are pursuing. I cant remember what it is.

Hopefully prices will drop.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
DC5

ORIGINAL: rvizzle

Not to be rude, but that probably wasn't the smartest idea, being that Blu-Ray has unofficially won the HD war. The reason it was so cheap is because microsoft and toshiba are trying to push more sales to keep the HD DVD market alive. But it's not going to happen with Warner Bros. / Best Buy / Wal-Mart / and the **** industry only producing blu-ray movies. Soon Paramount and Universal will be out of their contract with HD DVD once Toshiba comes to conclusions that they have lost the war. Anyway just letting you know, hopefully you can return it. You just spent money on a player that doesn't even produce 1080p either. The XBOX 360 HD DVD addon only displays 1080i. Incase you didn't know that either. Have a nice day!
Supposedly you can get 1080p if you use the VGA output cable

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Ya, $30 for a blu movie. Give me a break. Of course Sony is always one of the most expensive in any of hteir products.

You also have to notice that its not just about movies. The new gen of dvd's is gonna be the PC format too. Blu can hold a **** load more than a HD dvd and it has some format that companies are pursuing. I cant remember what it is.

Hopefully prices will drop.
I have never paid more than $27 for a blu-ray. Thanks to amazon and all the blu-ray sales on the online companies have.

Quick Reply: xbox hd dvd player