Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

anyone in the service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone in the service?

so I am a young guy who has made his mistakes and it is pretty rough looking for steady work these days and I have always thought about joining probly the Navy and try to become a Navy Diver. I just wanted to see if any of you are in the service (navy, army, air force, national guard, Marine) tell me what you think abou it and be honest dont sugar coat it.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Default RE: anyone in the service?

I did 6 years in the USAF. I was the best thing for me. I matured in some aspects and remained immature in other aspects (mainly women). I do not know any man that made their marriage work during the 6 years I was in. If you are married, or in a serious relationship, I would be careful and really think through your decision.

I do not regret joining. Not a single day. I would have stayed in if I could have been gaureenteed one base for my entire career, but that is not how the militery works. Besides, I am going on 7 years of being happily married, and I doubt that would be the case if I stayed in the military.

Their are Pro's and Con's to any decision in life. Follow your gut feeling!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 PM

ya I realize there will be pro's and con's its just a matter of me figuring out which one is better for me. I have no commitments or relationships to worry about so its all up to me. we will see

Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 AM

AJ,
What's up man... I am a retiree of23 yrs in the Air Force as a Security Policeman (if not familiar (MP or Cop). And my words of wisdom would be, Everyday you take a step towards your future. I had good & bad days. The negatives: I saw war, people die, starve, worked long crazy hours & lived in places that were horrible & seperated from the fam. The positives: I met & made friends with AWESOME people, got see the world, got a skill & education, started getting a retirement check @ 41 yrs old. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!! I personnaly think everyone should join, but I do know its not for everyone. If you are or want discipline in your life& a skill that you can make a military career or civilian career, I'd say go for it. If your one who doesn't want to listen, wants to just do what you want to do & lacks motivation, I'd say don't do it!!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

Cyc'd

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM

its a beautiful disaster..a love/ hate relationship..but i wouldnt give it up for anything...you will have times that are so terrible you cant do anything but laugh..the men you work w/ will be your best friends, you hate them at times but in the end you'll love the hell out of them..basicilly what im trying to convey is that there are good times and terrible times..but in the end its an experince you'll never regret..every one i know cant wait to EAS but you'll never hear any one say they regret joining..especially ig you have a nice cushy job..

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Friend and Hero ...

This is from a fourth generation Marine, who has currently counting aunts, uncles and first cousins. And of course other immediate family, 39 family members either currently serving or have served at some point. who are a live now. So my point of view will be a little one-sided, but here is my take. I personally served 12 yrs with the Marine Corps before exiting. This is absolutely the one thing in life that you get out of it what you put into it. It doesn't matter, where you come from. What you have or haven't done. You will be judge by what you can do. There are less tasking MOS, to be had but none that are not important are vital. There are MOS, that will truly push the edge of the envelope of your abilities mentally and physically and it's totally up to you to rise to the occasion or fail. If you can't handle stress, can't handle being pushed in more ways than, one if you're unwilling to give up some short-term control over your life keep looking on the civilian side. IF The Navy intrigues you for being able to sail the seas and oceans of this world, in the hopes of seeing exotic lands and true loving some exotic female. Most assuredly the opportunity is there, but without paying your dues the time won't be. The opening line is the key to this whole deal. You're going to get out of it what you put into it if you're a slacker forget about it. IT Not going to work out. IF you're intelligent, willing to learn, willing to sacrifice, willing to put your time in. There are some great benefits out there. I am grateful to the Marine Corps for providing me with a wonderful skill set. I am certified as a Martial Arts instructor's trainer, also certified in Scuba Diving And Skydiving, along with a host of other lethal skills and nothing in this world will ever replace the bonds that are formed with those whom you serve with or the level of self-confidence that is gained while in uniform the added extra benefit is the Corps values which are either refined or developed. I'm now working in the private sector making more money. But honestly wished things had turned out little differently. I don't know. This may sound like BS to you, but I honest to God inherited a sense of patriotic duty from my grandfather, who said that his father had told him. By serving in this country's Marine Corps, we were paying back this Great Nation for the great gifts that we had received. He would tell me great stories of hardship and triumph and those have helped carried me over a lot of hard times, and by having served my country, I am helping ensuring some quality of life for my children and grandchildren. But that's just me. You ultimately have to decide for yourself whether it is something you want to do if you're seriously interested in the Navy. Shocktroop is in the Navy, the X, Bigpops as well as Don admin or all former Navy . Twisted Metal is a Coast Guard recruiter as far as the Army goes if you're interested doog or F3 one of them is a former drill sergeant and the other one is currently a drill sergeant and there are several others timpeet Army Special Forces, as well as several others. This house is predominately Marine Corps and Air Force. I would need a quarter of a page to list all guys LOL. if you're interested and are currently enrolled in college this below may be something to consider

TA if you're reading this I did receive your PM and have been on the move but I will see what I can find out. Just want to give you accurate information not just throw something out there

If You're in College Here's Something to Consider

The Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Course (PLC) is an alternative for NROTC or OCS for college students who wish to become commissioned officers in the United States Marine Corps.
College students can enroll in PLC when they are freshmen, sophomores, or juniors in college. Those who enroll as freshmen or sophmores attend two 6 six-week summer training programs at the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School, located at Quantico, Virginia. Students who enroll in the program as juniors attend one 10-week summer course.
PLC summer class sizes are typically 250 to 300 students, broken into four to six platoons. The platoons train in a physically demanding environment where sleep deprivation, military tasks, and memorization are constantly forced on candidates to test their ability to handle stress. The course of instruction is much the same as Marine Corps Officers Candidate School
Travel costs, meals, textbooks, uniforms and lodging, during the summer training sessions are provided by the Marine Corps, and students are paid for their time. Additional financial assistance may be obtained for participation in active duty. Participants select even may receive tax-free financial

Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 AM

^^Hc's words should not be taken w/ a grain of salt. he has an enormous amount of experince and expertise..

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 AM

Did you notice that we have all basically stated that we do not regret out decision to join the military? I think that you will find that is the opinion of the majority of the people that have served. Good luck with your choice.

PS- don't think that the Navy is the only one with divers. There are special ops in all branches that include diving (if that is your interest)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I can remember, USCG has 'rescue swimmers' too, but Twisted metal will know a lot more.
If I'd been in the States in my formative years, I'd've joined the Marines or the Coast Guard.
As it was, I ended up in a Paratroop regiment (and I'm still scared of heights)[X(]
The buddies you make in the service are for life - I still keep in touch with some, others are gone now but it's a bond that lasts a lifetime, whatever arm of the services you join, or whichever country you owe allegiance to.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

HC has real good advice. It is a rough life style but it is worth it. I do not regret doing it at all. 6 years Air Force.