Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anybody have experience with Hitachi power tools?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody have experience with Hitachi power tools?

I've been looking to buy a 1/2" drive cordless impact to use at work (I wanted one before at my old job, but even more so at the new one). Snap-On guy was $500+ for theirs just for the 1/2" drive, but I went to that used tool place over in Athens today and he had a Hitachi 18v 1/2" drive cordless impact with 2 batteries, charger, case, ect for $200. It was very very clean and looked damn near brand new, or very lightly used.

I'm not necessarily brand specific... though most of the stuff in my toolbox is Snap-On and Matco simply because we got their tool trucks every week so it was convienent if I needed to buy something quick or get something replaced under warranty. But as long as it's good quality I really don't care about the specific brand... I know Snap-On you're paying alot just for the name, but I just want something that isn't going to fall apart on me from daily use.
I've never used Hitachi stuff before though. So... anybody have experience with their power tools?? Yay or nay?? This guy takes trades too and I've got an almost new circular saw that I've only used a few times and a brand new package of blades, I could probably get the price down some

This is the one here.....
http://www.acetoolonline.com/Hitachi...it-wr18dmr.htm

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody have experience with Hitachi power tools?

never had experience with hitachis 1/2 drive, but i did have a 3/8 drive cordless impact from them never had a problem with it but after a few years i traded it to the cornwell guy here for a makita cordless setwith2 lights a 3/8 cordless and a drill alsoand have also had good luck with that. the only thing i buy from snap on is their wrenches, screwdrivers and sockets anything else from them isint worth what they charge in my book.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Do not have a hitachi impact but do have several other power/air tools from them and they have been bullet proof so far (I can see them exploding as I typed that). The hitachi tools seem to be on par quality wise with Dewalt without the hefty price tag.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM

I've never used hitachi, but I've used Milwakee 1/2 inch impacts and even he 18 volt holds up well

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 AM
June 2011 ROTM

ive used them and they are good tools. I usually buy craftsman tools. They are cheaper, work just as good, and have a lifetime warranty.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Ironmang

Thanks everyone for the replies! I went ahead and bought it tonight.... too good of a deal to pass up I think. I went over there to look at it again, turns out it's a factory refurbished (which I usually find to be better than the original new products), and comes with the factory warranty (the dude there said 6 months, but the warranty stuff that came with it says 5 years). Either way, great price and it feels very solid, so we'll see. I traded in a circular saw, orbital sander, and a package of saw blades I had laying around the house here that I hadn't used in years, and got $37.50 credit, so this ended up being $162. Not too bad I don't think

Name:  DSC00245.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  DSC00250.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  76.6 KB

I'm fully charging the first battery now, and taking it into work tomorrow.... we'll see how it does