Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another Thread About How Pathetic The World We Live In Is

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Thread About How Pathetic The World We Live In Is

saw it on yahoo... here is the story... ill give u a general gist first... people walking past a homeless man stabbed laying in the street... no one helps... little do they know earlier that morning he helped someone getting mugged

link below is the movie....

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...treet-19336101

EW YORK – The homeless man lay face down, unmoving, on the sidewalk outside an apartment building, blood from knife wounds pooling underneath his body. One person passed by in the early morning. Then another, and another. Video footage from a surveillance camera shows at least seven people going by, some turning their heads to look, others stopping to gawk. One even lifted the homeless man's body, exposing what appeared to be blood on the sidewalk underneath him, before walking away.
It wasn't until after the 31-year-old Guatemalan immigrant had been lying there for nearly an hour that emergency workers arrived, and by then, it was too late. Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax — who police said was stabbed while intervening to help a woman being attacked — had died.

"I think it's horrific," said Marla Cohan, who teaches at P.S. 82, a school across the street from where Tale-Yax died. "I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

Tale-Yax was walking behind a man and a woman on 144th Street in the Jamaica section of Queens around 6 a.m. April 18 when the couple got into a fight that became physical, according to police, who pieced together what happened from surveillance footage and interviews with area residents.

Tale-Yax was stabbed several times when he intervened to help the woman, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. She and the other man fled in different directions, and Tale-Yax pursued the man before collapsing. Authorities are searching for the man and woman.

A 911 call of a woman screaming came in around 6 a.m., but when officers responded to the address that was given, no one was there, police said. Another call came in around 7 a.m., saying a man was lying on the street, but gave the wrong address. Finally, around 7:20 a.m., someone called 911 to report a man had possibly been stabbed at 144th Street and 88th Road.
Police and firefighters arrived a few minutes later to find Tale-Yax dead. Officials say they're not sure whether the man was still alive when passers-by opted not to help him.
Residents who regularly pass by the same stretch of sidewalk, in a working-class neighborhood of low-rise apartment buildings and fast food restaurants near a busy boulevard, were unnerved by the way Tale-Yax died.

"Is anybody human anymore?" asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. "What's wrong with humanity?"
In the urban environment, it's not unusual to see people on the street, sleeping or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
But even assuming the person they've just passed is drunk, instead of injured, is no reason not to notify authorities, said Seth Herman, another teacher at the school. He remembered calling an ambulance when seeing a man who appeared to be homeless on the street, with a beer bottle near by.
He called 911, he said, because "I felt it wasn't my job to figure out if the person was drunk or actually hurt."
Groce agreed.
"I just think that's horrible, whether you're homeless or not," she said. "He's a human being; he needs help."

Last edited by __Z__; 04-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 PM

laying there isnt a big deal but when you can see a puddle of blood u call some i mean @#$%

if you watch the video it explains how a puddle could be seen

Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM

and i know alot of people have no compassion for immigrants as well as homeless individuals but at the very least we are still all humans...

turn this story and say it was a 27 year old pregnant woman... and then everyone's like ohhhhhhhhhhhhh how horrible... yes it is absolutely horrific (my wife is 20 and currently pregnant just so everyone knows im not trying to play it off like no big thing, it is close to home with me) but this is still a abomination

Old 04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the video several times. Maybe from street level or another angle the blood was evident. But from the camera's perspective you couldn't tell till the guy picked him up.

Maybe its a statement on society, maybe we have gotten desensitized to people laying on the sidewalk. But I see someone laying on the sidewalk at least once a week. Am I going to assume something is wrong with them? No. 99% of them are homeless and sleeping. The other 1% are drunk college kids.

Now if I had seen him stagger and fall to the ground, yes I'd have checked.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 PM

guess it has alot to do with where everyone lives... here person down on the side walk=911 instantly...

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Really is disgusting no one will take 2 seconds from they're life to help another

Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

there has been alot of research into this and is called the "bystander effect"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

the biggest reason is called "diffusion of responsibility" basically, the more people that are around the event or emergency.. the less likely someone is going to help you..

this paragraph sums it up nicely..

"This occurs when observers all assume that someone else is going to intervene and so each individual feels less responsible and refrains from doing anything. Since everyone is doing exactly the same thing (nothing), they all conclude from the inaction of others that help is not needed

scary **** huh.. ?

the best way for people to get past this (if you are in a similar or emergency-type situation) is to single out someone and ask for help.. don't ask the whole crowd... point to a single person and shout "YOU.. call 911! I need YOUR help!" This singles someone out and makes the person feel somewhat responsible and able to take action when you ask a specific or singular person for help.

Kaz

Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Default Bystander-effect

I think it's horrible what happened. I saw the video on the news the other night! It's terrible to imagine that people wouldn't even bother to lend a hand. However we all say we would call 911 or do something, but the sheer fact is that most of us would fall under the category of the bystander-effect!

My ex-girlfriend was nearly mugged by 3 men at 4 pm in downtown Toronto as they tried to rob her and steal her car. Several, if not a hundred people passed by, as she expressed disgust at the men gawking at her and trying to open her car doors. The thieves ended up with nothing but wasting her time, but another perfectly good instance of the bystander-effect (b-e).

I think it's a combination of not wanting to call for help in some respects and the b.-e. where no one bothers to lend a hand... I understand that most the time it would be a homeless person, or a drunk college kid. But this is just one specific incident with a similar out-come seen everywhere.

We should all pay closer attention to individuals, not to say that you should kick every person sleeping on the sidewalk, but keep an open mind and an eye out. And if there is a situation, never fail to make sure something is being done. After all, we can all agree it's terrible, but we all hope it never happens to ourselves!