Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another School Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another School Shooting

Edit:I rewrote this post because it initially talked about the need for a few assault rifles andand a shotgun and why someone would need a scoped semi-auto military rifle for home defense (ie crackheads at 300 yards). It was kinda out of line. so I rewrote it to justillustratewhy I think guns are too easy for people to own and why maybe a few less guns would be a good thing. My person up close experience with a random bullet was bad.

Then guns would become a luxury, only for people with money.
All I am saying is that why should a gun be so cheap when they can cause so much damage and the bulletsHURT SO MUCH on the way in and out (not so much with painkillers and a local)?

This is my arm by the way.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM

They shouldn't cost so much because even the poor have the right to put themselves on equal footing with an armed assailant and defend themselves. I shouldn't have to spend 1500$ to have my fiance carry a pistol in her purse. The only persons that a big tax will hurt is law abiding citizens like myself and my fiance who don't have a lot of money but live less than a mile from a really shady area. The gas station, one I used for a long time, has been robbed 3 times at gun point in the past year. Twice in the middle of the day and while the girl at the counter had her kid in a play pen behind the counter.

The criminals will always find ways to get guns, whether stealing or trafficing or whatnot. Our only real defense is arming good people so criminality involves much more risk. You make the risk so great that it outweighs the benefits.

To cracker's defense, those rifles may be used in competition shooting. I know many friends who have rifles such as his who take part in shooting events every weekend. They are mixed long range, short range, side arm style and are a friendly sport. Just like every other sport, motorcycling included, people like to have the best/multiple and customize.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very emotion-laden subject, and my emotionsare mixed. At 14, home with my brother while our parents were out for the night it was nice to have a rifle to back me up when our house was broken into. In college it was very frightening to be hauled out of bed at two A.M, dragged down the hall to another room in the dorm, and have a .45 shoved in my face when I objected. No shots were fired in either instance, thank God.A recent experience illustrates another factor. While on aBoy Scout campout last summer near a wilderness area we had a little excitement. Around ten o'clock at night the boys were visiting eachother's camps, messing around and having a good time. Suddenly two of our boys came running into camp scared*%^$less and said there wasa bearin the brush behind on of the other camps.I grabbed my floodlight, one of those bazillion candlepower things, and headed down the road.It turned outa groups of theboyshad been practicing sneaking up on a neighboring camp, no bears involved. Two otheradult leaders caughtup withme and were apprised of the situation. They breatheda sigh of relief, and put the pistols in their jacket pockets. Now, I trust those two. They're goodfriends, Iknow them well, and trust them implicitly to not shoot until the know beyond a shadow of a doubt what their target is.But I got to thinking about all the other guys out there with us. I don't know them, don't know what their experience is with firearms,how they react in an emergency. In short, there's no guarantee they wouldn't have started banging away into the brush, perhaps leaving my grandson (one of the supposed bears) dead. And there lies the rub. How do we know strangers carrying are able to use reasonable judgement in an emergency situation? Even police, who have, or supposed to have, extensive training blow it on occassion. Sigh. I guess in the end I'm in favor of mehaving a CCW permit. I know me. But the populace in general? Not unless getting a CCW reqruires extensive training and abackground check which looks at the person's emotional stability as well as his/her criminal record. If they pass such a process, then there is no reason to prohibit them carrying a weapon anywhere.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM

When the robots take over, you're gonna want protection.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 PM
RCR

All schools shouldmake an office for local law enforcement officers. Im sure there is always someone in the station that has a day of paperwork, light duty detial and so on. That presence would hinder alot of these situations.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

[:@] I want to know your opinions on what should be done with this problem. Being a student, I'm frankly quite concerned for the safety of my classmates and myself. In MI, we have a concealed carry law that once you pass the training course, have an extensive background check, pay for your license, and wait six months you can carry. However, you can't carry on campus or in malls.... the very places that are repeatedly targeted. It seems that protecting yourself isn't allowed in certain places. Honestly, I'd be happy if teachers were allowed to carry so at least someone could do something if it ever came down to it. Always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

BTW, you have to be 21 here to get a permit.

Speaking of malls. Years ago there was a Furrs cafeteria in our mall and there was a guy that just walked in and just started shooting people. There was a militray woman in there that left her pistol in her car cause you cant carry in the mall. She could have helped/stopped the situation at hand.

And of course. The smart guy that evestigates school shootings says its caused by video games. Yup its proof. Playing with a keyboard and mouse makes you an excellent marksman.

Anybody can shoot a gun. Anybody can shoot un-armed people.

They say people use games to simulate shootings. Ok, but I dont know a single game where you go out and shoot people, then blow your own head off. Hmmmmm.

Here's the interview. I like how he uses the word "training".

http://kotaku.com/356999/jack-thomps...on-video-games

What happened to good old days when someone was crazy they were called crazy? Cuase Investigators and lawyers dont make money when just saying, "He/she is crazy". There's gotta be someone/something to blame.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM

There's too many pussies these days. Dont like someone, fight the ****. Dont throw a hissy fit and shoot people. *****. Only pussies threating someone with a gun when a gun is not needed.

NOw days its either sue them or shoot them.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Jack is only saying that stuff to get his name out. Don't fall into his trap of bs. I play plenty of violent video games yet I am probably one of the least violent people you will ever meet. It's not a valid theory of violent tendancies.

The shooter was in the army and was discharged for his mental condition. It is quite possible he was trained there.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 PM

I took all internet classes, so i never have to go to campus

Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Jack is only saying that stuff to get his name out. Don't fall into his trap of bs. I play plenty of violent video games yet I am probably one of the least violent people you will ever meet. It's not a valid theory of violent tendancies.

The shooter was in the army and was discharged for his mental condition. It is quite possible he was trained there.

Thats what another person said Hello! He had mental issues before this.