Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another Crazy Driver Incident

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Crazy Driver Incident

Last night after a very pleasurable ride, I’m on my way home not going too fast nor too slow. Normal following distance behind the car in front. 2 lanes in both directions, I’m in the left lane, when a black Navigator jumps in front of me and slams on brakes. My mind flashes back to an incident I had 2 Saturdays ago (story told at the end of this story) and I say in my mind ‘Oh no, not again’.

I jump to the right lane to avoid further incident and line up to the front windows to inform the driver that I was there, ‘possible she didn’t see me’ I’m thinking. The male passenger is apologetic in his gestures when she swerves over left, I back off. I’m thinking of going around but too much traffic to get away quickly and I don’t know what she’s going to do after swerving right again.

I decide to stay behind and do so long enough to memorize her license plate. When the road opens up, so do I and I get away quickly. I rush home do what I have to do and then about 70 minutes later call Prince George’s County Police who then transfers me to Riverdale Police, as it happened in their jurisdiction. The Officer on the phone tells me that there’s nothing they can do because it’s “2 hours later” and ‘had I pulled over immediately and reported it, they may have been able to chase her down and stop her.’

Personally, I think its B.S. and wanted to report her for the safety of other motorcyclists on the road in dealing with drivers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this driver and this police officer?

---2 Saturdays ago incident (for those interested)--

Just getting on the Beltway southbound at Exit 20, I’m in the 3rd lane. I look left, signal left and begin to merge to the 4th lane. Suddenly a black Acura passes me close on my left. About 10-15 feet in front of me begins to fishtail. I see brake lights, smoke from the tires and then tire lockup. I match speed for speed and thought the driver was going to save it. She shows me the broadside of the car and goes left into the concrete divider. I swerve right and go around. About 100-150 feet I come to a complete stop do a U-Turn and come back to the scene to find 3 vehicles now on the RIGHT SHOULDER. She had hit the concrete divider and bounced across 4 lanes to end up on the right shoulder. She’s out of the car. Caucasian, age mid 20’s to low 30’s, there’s a Black female mid 30’s and a Caucasian male still in his car mid to upper 40’s. The driver is very apologetic and says she’s glad she didn’t hit me that she rides bikes, etc. The Black female takes me aside and tells me that she’s a Maryland State Police Officer and the that the driver was going really fast and appears to have been drinking. The other guy was also a witness to her excessive speed. All 3 drivers thought that I had been hit and the call on the Police radio said an incident involving a motorcycle. When the police let me go, they were giving her a Field Sobriety beside her totaled Acura TL.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Crazy Driver Incident

Sounds like you have better luck than some riders and enough sense to move away from idiot drivers.

It's hard to suggest anything to do about the driver or how to have police to take care of them. If you stop immediately when it's safe for you and call the police and report a reckless vehicle, the best to hope for is... the police stop the car and check out the driver.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE: Another Crazy Driver Incident

I got Subpoenaed to appear in court for the incident with the Acura driver. She was charged with DUI. Anyone have any experience with these type of court appearances? Although she reacted correctly to save my life and I am grateful, as I see it the only thing she did wrong was driving waaaay too fast. I guess alchohol impaiment makes people drive fast (sarcastic).

I should make it clear that I have no sympathy for people who drive after drinking/ drugging.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Default RE: UPDATE: Another Crazy Driver Incident

Here in Idaho that 2 hours wouldn't have made a difference.
The cops will write up a complaint form and you will have to sign it. After the issue the ticket to the person you will have to go to court (just like a cop would).

I had some jackass try to run me off the road a year ago. I called the cops after getting home and that jackass got a reckless ticket.

Ride safe!!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: UPDATE: Another Crazy Driver Incident

For your court appearance: Wear appropriate clothing (shirt & tie), be on time, and simply testify to what you witnessed during the accident when the judge asks you to speak. I'd suggest taking notes on what you saw so it is fresh on your mind when you testify. Just relax and follow the instructions the States Attorney gives you before the case is called. Its really not a big deal..just be glad you're not the defendant.

As far as your issue with PG County Police..given the information you posted there really isnt much they could do. They can't simply run the tag, send an officer to the driver's residence and issue a citation. When an officer is sent to respond to something like that they have to witness any violations themselves and can't cite someone based on He said/She said. The only time it really works out is if you call when you're behind the person and provide updates on your location until the officer arrives. Obviously, you were on a bike so its not like you could do that. I know its frustrating but there's only so much the police can do in certain situations.