Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Almost pooped myself

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Almost pooped myself

So my friend and i are riding through a normal route that has some okay twists. We are moving along at around 60-70 mph and we start goin into this left hand C. I get about mid way through and see a truck stopped as the curve becomes straight. I get on my brakes and i see the driver outside the car wave me by. I looked ahead and saw no cars in the other lane so i move pass him. About 1/4 second later i hear a tire squeel and a bang. I snap my head back and i see his bike laying down. Somehow i managed to drop my kickstand before i started running back to check on him.

Thankfully when i got there he was up walking around taking his stuff off. He said he saw me get on my brakes and he started to slow to but once i started to go again so did he. He didnt see the truck till it was to late and ended up locking the back brake and then let go sliding into the truck. He kinda highsided into the back of the truck when he let of his rearbrake and broke his collarbone. He also has a concussion.

His helmet has a nasty gash ontop from where he must have smacked a sharp corner. All in all i was expecting to see my friend under that truck dead when i got there. I felt this disgusting feeling when i heard that tire squeel and saw his bike laying down.

Anyways police came originally said it was his fault but since it was a city truck we had to wait for the state police and they determined it was the trucks fault for not having a flagger out at the start of the corner.

His bike started up right away and he had a crash cage from the PO and only the bike has a busted rearset and some rash on the upper cowl and the rear cowl. His father in law ended up bringing a truck and we got the bike in the back and then he went to the hospital. Of all this i just hope he starts wearing better gear other than house chore clothes. To each his own though.

Well im done. I just had to share my story with others.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why was the truck stopped in the middle of the lane? Was it broken down?

Glad to hear your friend wasn't hurt worse. Could have been really bad.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I would suggest is for you to start doing what we do when riding in groups. Whoever is riding in front needs to make sure the person behind them is aware of any dangers. Whether is flashing your brake light quickly, or holding your hand up to signal to slow down, the person behind needs to be made aware of dangers. Roadkill, gravel, parked cars.... anything should be pointed out to the rider behind because most of the time, the rider behind is watching the front rider. Which is what happened in this case. He saw you go, so he thought it was all clear. I'm not trying to blame anyone, accidents happen all the time, just stating somethings for you to consider when riding in groups.

If it was our group going past the truck, the lead rider would have flashed the brake lights and went by the truck very slow. We wouldn't have picked up the pace again until we were sure the behind rider was also past the truck. Granted, the driver of the truck probably would have gotten a few middle fingers, but everyone would know the truck was there.

In all honesty, I get a little nervous when riding with new riders. The few riders I ride with consistantly have the same mentallity as me, and we know what each others riding habits are. We also watch out for eachother. It makes for a much safer ride.

Glad he will recover. It could have been much worse than that.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sucks! Same thing happened to me on the way to work on Friday morning, I came off of highway 402 here in Sarnia, I was going pretty fast....to get a good lean. The off ramp is kind of half blind, as I'm leaned into it, coming around there is a fu*ki*g steam roller right for me! Luckily nothing happened but it got my blood pumping. The look on the guys face was priceless though.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why was the truck stopped in the middle of the lane? Was it broken down?
The truck was stopped to pick up one of those orange garbage bags. Which when they left it was still there. lol

justasquid- We normally pat our head for a danger and i would have but being in the corner if i would have taken my hand off the bar i would have wrecked as well. The only reason i kept going when he waved me by was because there was no way i could have stopped in time.

I think another factor in it was that he wasnt looking through the corner he said. Hopefully he will go take the MSC once he is better cause they can teach you some basic stuff that can save your life. I know it saved my butt that day.