Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stop lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop lights?

How many riders on here have gotten a ticket for running a stop light beacause their bike wouldnt trip the sensor?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 AM

lol I JUST got a letter from the local PD with pictures of me running a red 3:30 in the morning. i waited and waited but no change. so do i stand there like an idiot or can I go through the deserted intersection?

the next time this happens im going to wave my hands like a lunatic before running the light. then maybe the cops will understand wtf is up.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 AM

I find that if you stop directly over top of one side or the other of the sensor box in the pavement, your chances of it knowing that your there are better. But it still doesnt always work. I guess you just hope that the cop who stops you is a rider as well so he believes your excuse.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my state there is a law that says if you've been waiting at a red light for a reasonable amount of time and the light doesn't change you can proceed through the intersection if it is safe to do so. It only applies to motorcycles and bicycles and it doesn't really define how long a reasonable amount of time is. I've used it while on my bicycle but not on my motorcycle...yet.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM

When I did the MSF course, our instructor suggested that in such a situation wait for one set of lights and then go ahead.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM

I wait for two complete cycles of the light. If my side has not turned green in that time, I make sure there is no other traffic and then I proceed. (Check you local listings for legality).

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
In my state there is a law that says if you've been waiting at a red light for a reasonable amount of time and the light doesn't change you can proceed through the intersection if it is safe to do so. It only applies to motorcycles and bicycles and it doesn't really define how long a reasonable amount of time is. I've used it while on my bicycle but not on my motorcycle...yet.
wow i like this law!! I wish they had it in NYS. I always get a little weary about running the lights.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run red lights all the time down here. But im normally going to work at 3am so there is no one out and i only run the ones that dont turn green and thats after i make a stop and give it a chance.

I have been stopped once though and after i told her she understood. She siad her husband has the same problem but she thought i just ran it. lol

Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM

i wait for 2 cycles or count to 50 in my head. by that time it either changes or i just go. its kinda hard to fight a photo ticket, little easier to do it if you get pulled. i have my ccw permit so everytime i get pulled over for the little stuff i end up having a 20 minute convo with the officer.

only once ive had a ******** officer pull me for not going through a green at 3am because i got a damn bug in my eye and it was annoying. full body pat down, field sobriety tests, breath test, ran all my numbers. took over an hour of my time but no ticket.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM

i wait for 2 cycles or count to 50 in my head. by that time it either changes or i just go. its kinda hard to fight a photo ticket, little easier to do it if you get pulled. i have my ccw permit so everytime i get pulled over for the little stuff i end up having a 20 minute convo with the officer.

only once ive had a ******** officer pull me for not going through a green at 3am because i got a damn bug in my eye and it was annoying. full body pat down, field sobriety tests, breath test, ran all my numbers. took over an hour of my time but no ticket.

Quick Reply: Stop lights?