F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Pooped out 92 600 f2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pooped out 92 600 f2

80 miles down a windy run and bike lost power, started off speratic. Pulled off it died. Fired right back up but with poor idle, then almost total loss of power ( 50mph in second with full throttle @8k rpms). A puff of white smoke a it died wont fire back up. Exhausted smelled real rich before it pooped out.

Checked oil an it's fine any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the things that make it run:
- Spark: Make sure there is spark in all 4 cylinders, check the condition of the plugs
- Compression: Make sure you have adequate compression in all 4. Leakdown test too.
- Fuel: Make sure you are getting fuel
- Air

White smoke usually means burning water. Could be a coolant leak. You say the oil is fine tho... not chocolate milky right?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Check the things that make it run:
- Spark: Make sure there is spark in all 4 cylinders, check the condition of the plugs
- Compression: Make sure you have adequate compression in all 4. Leakdown test too.
- Fuel: Make sure you are getting fuel
- Air

White smoke usually means burning water. Could be a coolant leak. You say the oil is fine tho... not chocolate milky right?
Just got the bike back to the garage after work today, didnt get a chance to check any of the things you listed but wanted to update an let you know there was an extreme amount of gas in my exhaust. thinking maybe sediment from the tanked worked in and fidged up carbs? would that cause my problems?

Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Yeah, if grit or sediment got into the float valves they can stay open, allowing the carb bowls to overfill and the extra fuel goes into the cylinders. Pull your plugs and see if they are flooded with fuel. If they are, you will need to pull and clean the carbs. (Also make sure you replace your fuel filter to prevent it from happening again.)

Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM

Change your oil too. Gas will drain down into the cases when the floats stick. Happened to me a couple of times. Eventually I bought new floats and needle valves to fix the problem. My carbs were off for an extended time without gas in them and the rubber needle tips dried out and the plastic floats bent from lack of support in the float bowls (no gas).

Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM

i pulled my carbs and reinstalled and she fired right up but with a terrible amount of white smoke, more throttle the more smoke. Head gasket?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 AM

You have a couple of options.

1. Pull your plugs and see what they look like. Burning coolant makes them look like they have been bleached. If you're burning coolant, they will be very white with a white powdery coating.

2. Check your coolant levels, both in the radiator and in the overflow reservoir, when the bike is cold. Take note of the levels and the ambient temperature when you check it. Drive the bike for a day or two and check the levels again under the same conditions. If coolant is missing and you can't see an obvious external leak, you're probably burning it.

However, the smoke could just be the remains of any gunk that was in the fuel system burning off.

How long has the engine run after the carbs were cleaned?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 PM

I couldnt ride the bike the cloud of smoke is so bad, i pulled the plugs and all seemed normal except the plug pulled from cylinder #1 it had some oil on it?!? drained coolant aswell and it was very clean and new looking. pulled dip stick and oil appears clean aswell. fried a piston ring? im leaning towards ruling out head gasket since coolant and oil are fine. ill throw video of how much smoke it throws when i hit the throttle. i let it idle for about 10 minutes and it doesnt smoke, only when i give it gas.