Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Almost done with headlight mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost done with headlight mod

Just an update in case anyone was curious.

I am almost done with the mod to my headlights. I installed two bi-xenon projectors in my 1000RR from a cadillac xlr. I will probably do an entire write up if anyone is interested in the process. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, so if might help someone save some time and money. there was a ton of modifying that had to be done to the projector to get them to fit and to get the projectors beam lined up and flat with each other. I also had to modify the shutter inside for height as the xlr's headlight is so low to the ground compared my bike, the high and low beam didnt have enough height difference.

Im including a few pics of what they look like at night. Its just in my garage as we still have alot of snow. It was also a little foggy this night, but it still shows the differences. the other bike is a ninja zx6r. this bike actually had better lights than my stock 1000rr and it has sylvania's silverstar ultra bulbs, which to my experience, is the brightest whitest light you can get with a standard bulb. My camera sucks, so it doesnt show just how bright the hid is. It would actually darken the picture as the light was so much brighter. It is easily 5 times brighter. It also has a much wider beam.

Im not quite done yet, I'll post up some pics once its all done. But I want to take it down the road before I button it all up, and thats gonna be a few weeks yet.

Attached Thumbnails Almost done with headlight mod-picture-436.jpg   Almost done with headlight mod-picture-434.jpg   Almost done with headlight mod-picture-433.jpg   Almost done with headlight mod-picture-428.jpg   Almost done with headlight mod-picture-427.jpg  

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM

I almost forgot. This is a comparision to the ninja'a output. Notice how much wider the hid's beam is. they are both on the kickstands so thats why the beam is at an anlge, but you can get the idea. its not a great difference from the pictures, but in person, the HID's are so so much brighter.

Attached Thumbnails Almost done with headlight mod-picture-420.jpg   Almost done with headlight mod-picture-422.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Absolutely Awesome! I would enjoy reading a write-up. And what size are those projectors? 2.5"?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM

thanks,

the projectors are 2.5 like you said. I had to go with the smallest I could find due to the lens being so narrow on my bike. My wifes ninja would have been so much easier to do as her lenses are so big, so I still might mod hers too.. But she doesnt do the amount of night riding that I do.

the nice thing is the projector have the igniter on the end of the bulb. which means I can make the wire going to the headlight any length I want as they are not high voltage. they have to be shielded, but this is going to allow me to mount the ballast anywhere.

the bad thing is... they have the igniter at the end of the bulb... I had to modify the back side of my headlight housing to fit them.

I will more than likely do a write as I have a ton of pictures as I was doing the mod. I will wait until I get it completed as I havent mounted the ballast just yet.