Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

21 Year old looking for his First Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
I always get a kick out of these threads. It's always newer, less experienced riders giving the most advice. No offense elfing, but from your previously stated experience and qualifications you really shouldn't be on here reccomending 600 supersports to people as starter bikes. With your particular accident, yes, it wouldn't have mattered what size bike you were on, but your accident was basically a glorified tip over that didn't happen at any real speed. You've hardly put your f4i into all the different situations in which the greater power of the f4i over a 250 would be a detriment, drug any kness lately? Etc. Also, an f4i and a gsxr 600 put out right about the same HP, both are rated somewhere around 110bhp, the new gsxr's might be a hair higher, but it's a minimal difference.

So many people like to post that They started on a 600 and They are fine, etc etc. Fact is starting on a 600 isn't signing a death warrant, but it is substantially increasing your risk, some get away with it fine, others get killed or seriously hurt. Besides which starting on a 600 seriously slows how fast someone learns to ride properly and learning their personal limits. Even just a couple of months on a 250 is worth it's weight in gold as far as learning and experience goes (if time could somehow be measured in weight :P). Regardless, "A 600 is only as dangerous as it's rider" is a common qoute, I don't agree. A 600 can get someone into trouble faster than their inexperienced riding skills can get them out of, while a 250 is alot more forgiving, especially as far as throttle control goes (especialy during cornering).

Regardless, noone ever listens to these threads and they are usually comepletely pointless. No matter how many experienced riders say to start on a 250 all it takes is one person, regardless of riding experience, saying to start on a 600 and it's done. People hear what they want to hear, they want to be told the 600 that they want, is perfectly ok, and someone always obliges. So, OP, after you get your 600 (you know you will), just be careful and make sure you buy all the gear you can possibly afford. People are always going to lean towards buying what they want, not what they should. Any 250 can usually be sold, quickly and easily,for the same exact price, or better than it was bought for, so no money is wasted. What's the issue with that?

P.S. I have been trying to avoid this thread, knowing that I'd throw down a wall'o'text, dammit, failed again. Regardless, feel free, anyone, to pick apart my arguements and whatnot. I've said my peace on the subject and won't be drawn into the usual war that erupts in these threads.

No worries, don't think we're in any danger of a war erupting. I take no offense and I honestly have zero problem with anything you said- you probablly could have jumped in earlier I did start with a 250. Could I have stayed on it longer? Definitely. I can't shoulda coulda woulda at this point though, **** is what it is. Would I recommend a 250 as a starter bike based on my experience? Sure. I agree with everything you said. I just didn't honestly see the OP as a total newb since he has dirt bike experience.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Lol...join in Hang don't be ah skeered. Your right though, these threads do get retarded at times. And I also agree he will get what he wants. Maybe there should be a stickey-thread for all beginners with helpful tips so they can just look through it and then there wouldn't be this back and forth little bike big bike. I think the bottom line here with new riders is that it really does not matter much how big or how small the bike is...if you don't know how to ride much to begin with you are taking a chance getting hurt or worse. You can have a Moped and with no experience you could drive straight through a corner and get picked off by a car coming around the other way! 250, 600, 1000...What did People do when there was no internet to get information? We went out and got the bike we wanted and learned slowly. Some People did learn, some People did not and lost there lives. All I can say is that it is up to the individual to know there own limitations. What can we say really? We have no idea of their capabilities. If the Person has confidence, then they would probably learn quickly, but not all. If they are unsure of themselves, I won't say yeah go ahead and get a snappy bike, get the 2fiddy! But either way, take the training course! I myself learned on a KX80 when I was 7 or 8 years old and moved up from there. But even then, at that age, and the technology of the bikes then, even an 80 was a little screamer, it all came down to me. Ya learn slowly and get better with seat time.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 PM

And Hang...You go easy on the little Elfling...she's alright!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Psh, it's fine I admit I've noobed it up a bit. I could've stayed on my 250 longer. At least I took the MSF course and went full gear.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

And I've had no problem with anything you've said, Hang. I definitely don't expect special treatment just cause of chesticles.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 AM

FACT, lol. He's totally right ( on both his last posts).

Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 AM

Relax Hang...I was just bustin ya cause of our last debate, it's obvious she can handle herself and you've said nothing out of character.