Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

12deg........

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 12deg........

...........and im riding to work this morning . sounds like it might be cold out there, hahahhahaha

Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 12deg........

Bundle up and stay warm J...

I think I might ride in myself. It's 18 here, with the wind chill feels like 9

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...no one ever said you guys were smart...loljk

thats freakin COLD!!! good ole 3 degrees here today..not taking wind chill into account.
I would ride down to about 30. Anything less im too skeered by ice. It was icy this mornin, people flippin their cars every mile in the interstate. Where everyone is driving, the tires are heating up the water, then it is freezing again instantly and turning into black ice.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM

-6 around my parts...just thinkin of riding my bike gives me wind burn

Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Your crazy! IMO that's just riding to say you rode, not fun at all. I like to ride when i can enjoy it, not freeze my *** off and worry about cold tires and ice.

Today with windchill it's like 15 and we have well over a foot of snow on the ground.

Gear up and be safe.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bumble bee,

thats not it at all. i can honestly say that it was still an enjoyable ride. not knocking your love for riding.....but maybe i enjoy it slightly more. i checked the weather before leaving the house and dressed for the temps. and i stayed fairly warm given the temps. i keep'er as upright as possible picking the best line in the turns to do so and go at a slower pace than i would on a warmer day.

it IS partly b/c my g/f has my truck. her car is acting up and i dont recommend she rides HER F4i in these temps, so i gave her my truck for the time being........and i can honestly say that if i had my truck sitting in the driveway this morning and i checked the weather.......i STILL would have pulled out the F4i, bundled up and rode to work w/ a smile on my face. i absolutely enjoy the ride, whether it be getting the bike over in the turns going fast, or whether its a slow paced 12deg. ride to work. As mentioned above, my only concern is black ice. other than that, so far im not worried about the temps . its definately not about bragging rights.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 AM

You're crazy, man. 30-35 is about where I call it quits because of ice and the tires. At 12*, those tires are not going to be good for much if you need to stop quick. Like riding on two slick rocks.... Please be careful.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Right now, at 10:30, the temp is 30 degrees F. If I were to make a mild guess, I would say at 8am the temp was 28 degrees (or colder). Keeping that in mind, 28 degrees F. at 75mph puts the wind-chill at -8 degrees. So, suffice to say, us "hardcore" (or retarded, depending on who you ask) that ride the highway to work even in these low temperatures are mighty chilly. I don't know why... but I love it! (Well, except the cold tires part, my Yamaha/winter-bike's tires are kinda lame anyways, but this cold makes the back one really slick till it warms up a little)

Want to calculate wind chill and stuff for your daily temp vrs windchill at speed? Go ===>HERE<===

Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Jay....your nuts!

I have ridden on some pretty crappy days but today takes the cake. How do you keep the ol fingers from freezing?

Call me when it hits the 50's.

Steve

Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM

I rode my bike yesterday for about an hour or two. Which it included stops where I ordered some motorcycle parts, got some lunch and hit up Autozone for some plastic repair goo. It was 20degrees and suppose to feel like 9 or something like that with the windchill.

Which I bundled up. I had underwere, tanktop, sleeper pants, jeans, long socks, boots, long sleeve T-shirt, Leather Jacket with a large poofy jacket that wanted to be a parachute more than anything. Plus some Snap On gloves that don't breathe. Oh yeah a Redhead Polyeurothan(?) ski mask. It wasn't bad at all except for my jacket wanting to blow me off the road.

And the reason I rode is I hvae terrible luck. So whenever we have nice riding weather whereI can't go one mile without seeing 100bikes I'm either Working really early and getting off really late. Or my bike is in a billion peices. So I finally said screw it I guess I just have to get use to riding in the cold. Which I hate cold with a serious passion.