New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Took Left hand side crank case cover off now my starter clutch gears wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Took Left hand side crank case cover off now my starter clutch gears wont engage

Im a noob here(this is my first post) so apologizes for grammar or anything else i might have done incorrectly.

Okay so originally i had to replace the alternator on my 02 Suzuki Katana gsx600f. Without looking that up, i started to take **** apart. What i thought was the stator cover happened to be the bottom left hand side crank case cover(starter clutch cover) i think its referred to as. Once i saw that it definitely was NOT what i was looking for, i put it all back together. I literally took it off 2 inches, saw it wasn't what i wanted and put it back on.

I proceeded to do my homework and found my alternator was up top(i know ima dumbass), under my gas tank so, I replaced it. First time i hit the start button, there was a loud pop(which i figured to be the gears catching since i probably didn't align them when installed) I tried to start it again, and it started up but, i could heart almost a grinding like noise from the starter clutch covert.

I shut it off and ever since when i go to start it, the starter gear turns but it wont turn the large gears for the engine. Like its stuck. fuses, plugs, and battery are all good. Is there a certain way it needs to go back together that i missed? Its hard for me to believe that without even taking the cover off completely, i pushed something out of line(if that makes sense)

Sorry for the essay i just typed, Im just kinda freaking out cause it was all working until i messed with the crank case cover

Please Help!! Any advice is appreciated!!!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You know what you have to do all ready lol.
Sounds like something's not aligned in there mate. Nothing for it but cover off if it was me. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There's usually a dowel rod that the starter reducer gear sits on. One end into the case, one into the cover. I don't think the actual reducer can fit backwards, but make sure you check for that...