New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Thinking about getting 90 Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting 90 Hurricane

Hello everyone! I joined here so i could ask some questions and get some opinions on a 90 CBR 1000 i am thinking about. First off i have been riding bikes for 26 years since the ripe old age of 10. It was mostly off road but i also had an 03 Sportster for a few years that i loved to ride. Once i had my second child i got a little nervous on the bike and sold it Well now i am getting the itch again and i want to get something but i don't really want to spend a lot of money on basically a toy. Well I saw this pop up on my local craigslist and i must say i have been seriously thinking about checking it out.

Honda 1990 CBR1000F

When i was a kid i loved these year Hurricanes especially the red white and blue paint scheme. Thinking back many years i remember that the riding position was actually pretty comfortable....at least it was then...might be a bit different with the added years and poundage lol. But from what i have read my memory sounds right as it is not like these new crotch rockets with all the weight on your arms while your leaning on them.

So onto my questions. What are the key things to check out for and look for wear on these bikes? From what i have read the mileage doesn't seem to be to big a concern but i wanted to hear from others who can chime in about it on here. I basically just plan on cruising to work on it and mainly some nice back road rides now and then. Work is only about 15 miles round trip so i won't get a ton of seat time from it. But overall is this a comfy bike that can do the daily grind with ease or should i take a peak at a laid back cruiser bike?

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time

Old 04-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the CBRForum.

Be sure to ask the question(s) in the appropriate forum sections in addition to here. You'll most likely get more responses. The more the better right? ;-)

That is a really nice looking bike you're considering. Are there service records/ownership history? Reason I ask is b/c the ad looks to be from a dealership (non-Honda). If it has had a thorough mechanical check-out, the service mgr should be able to tell you how the compression checked out, etc etc etc. Ask for written proof. If it hasn't been done, ask that it is done...& if they'll back up their results w/a warranty. Typically, used bikes are sold as-is at dealerships but if there's a pre-purchase inspection done, that will give you some peace of mind. Most likely the dealership checked out the bike prior to taking it in on trade but you never know til you ask.

There are a few threads here on buyer's checklists etc. Be sure to search for those.

I'm sure others will post up w/ other items to look for particular to that model.

Don't worry about the "Added years & poundage". You'll be fine. You might want to tighten up your core a bit to relieve the stress on your arms, so your hands don't go numb. That seems to be the one of the biggest complaints of new sport bike riders. They tend to rest their upper body weight on their hands on the bars, & they go numb. Proper positioning & keeping your core strong will help w/ that. Too, the bike you're looking at doesn't have quite the aggressive body positioning that many of the newer sport bike have. So, yes, you can still ride sport bikes!

Good to have you here. Hope you get all the answers your looking for very quickly.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Hey looks nice. I really like the old school red, white and blue scheme myself