New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Story at the MSF Course

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Story at the MSF Course

Hey everyone,I PASSED! I guess I'm now officially a member eh? Man.. the past three days has been intense... Excercises after Excercises after Excercises, 17 total! Class was great, it was an enjoyable atmosphere to be around people that want to learn how to ride a motorcycle as well. I'm glad I took it and would've done it again if I had the chance to do it all over again... I look forward to taking the ERC program in a year to learn more. The bikes were those small 250's of course, the Honda's (represent!) that was available was the Night-hawks(excellent bike to begin with) and the Rebels. At first, I didn't know how to work the gear at all... until a few "Power-walks" (you've all been there) across this huge parking lot and then we bumped up to first gear. After that we all practiced weavings... then 2nd gear... then braking... then obstacles... then swerving... then leaning (which is quite scary to do at first because you feel like you're going to tip over, but physics takes over and you do fine), then they intermix them all together and make the excercises longer consisting about a time frame of 30 minutes per excercise. Not to mention it was 30 frikkin degrees out and wet from the rain before! Hell, everyones fingers were numb, we couldn't even feel our hands! But I figured if I could pull through this, I could pull through anything. Near the end of the third and final day.. we learned about alcohol uses and it's consequences(common sense) and more mental strategie skills such as SEE (Search, evaulate, and excute). Finally, the skills test and written test - during the skills test you are given points (which is a BAD thing) for everytime you touch the ground, the line, roll off on the throttle during a lean, brake too slow, etc. Believe it or not... I had -0 points... I HAD A PERFECT! I must say though... that during the skills test, the BOX was really hard.... which is a box about 20 foot wide and 60 foot long, and you have to do a figure 8 basically inside the lines without touching the ground and using the friction zone (the time when the clutch is still slipping and hasn't been fully released). The written is is multiple choice of 50 questions... I missed 2... Oh and in case you're wondering, this was in Springfield, IL for all those who are in the state and wish to know more about the MSF course. The reason why I sharing is because as a new member awhile back, I had wished someone would relate their MSF story with me, so here I am helping out the new members. If you have any questions regarding the MSF course, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer, thanks!

Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Default RE: Story at the MSF Course

Hey man,
Glad you finally got to take the class. Congrats on passing & thanks for sharing the story. It sounds like you had a great time. Remember, now that you passed, that doesn't mean you are an expert rider or ready for the street. Practice everything you learned and spend alot of time in parking lots or empty streets for the next month or so. Take your time and don't rush to get back onto the streets. You will get the hang of it. Be safe & wear your gear.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM

I've seen more drops in the box. I took it in July when it was 90 - 95 degrees, most of the day just sitting on the bike. Congrats on the class.[8D]

Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM

Good for you! Congrats. I just took the class two weeks ago and just got my license in the mail. Sweet. I'd been riding for a while, but never taken the class. I learned a few things which was great. Now I'm taking my f4i to the Penguin racing school for some advanced instruction and track time.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 AM

Congrats on passin! Yeah my foot touch when we had to do that stupid a$$ figure 8 thang but it's all good!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man.......did you just take me back down memory lane. Congrats! Remember...all that you learned in the course did not teach you what you need to know on the streets. The last thing i'm sure and hope your intructor told you guys is that the course is just fundamentals that give you the license and opportunity to hit the streets and learn out there. Learn safely!

Old 11-27-2005, 09:12 PM

Howdy , welcome to the forums

Better late than never