New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

LoL, First ride story

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoL, First ride story

Hey everyone, a couple of weeks ago i posted a forum about me getting a bike and I ended up getting an 01 cbr 929 rr for $5400. Despite it being very big and powerful, I tried to ride it for the FIRST time last night and holy-poopcakes did she take off! I've never ridden a motorcycle before nor even touched one, also i'm still new to manual transmission both on cars and bikes. It had the jardine exhaust on it, which makes it even more powerful and loud. I got the hang of the clutch and first gear only and was riding at 10 mph in a parking lot. Other than that, I still can't get the feeling of going down on the gears and going back to neutral, its really hard to learn if you can't see what gear you're on when it doesn't show on the gauges. I must say, I ALMOST dropped it, but that was because i didn't even know how the how gear system worked! I tried to brake and stop while still on 2nd gear! It just kept dying down on me and i was like S#!T! I pulled a muscle just trying to hold it back up! LOL, im pretty sure everyone could relate with me, I guess you got to start off as a pure newb somewhere. Today i'm going to try it out some more, i'll come back and read on this forum, any helpftul tips orinput would be greatly appreciated. thanks! (PS: I'll post pics soon)

Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LoL, First ride story

The best tip i could give you is to check your life insurance payments are up to date....[X(]

No really its a great bike but if it is your first one take it very easy and get out of 1st,2nd gear quickly or you will be getting some great views of the sky and tarmac in that order.
Best of luck....

Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM

I would recommend taking an MSF class since you are a first timer. They have bikes you learn to ride and shift gears, and if you drop it, it's not your bike that gets mangled. It will also make your confidence higher getting out on the road.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Just some friendly advice. DON"T TOUCH YOUR BIKE AGAIN TILL YOU TAKE THE MSF CLASS!!!!!
Ok sorry for the shouting. I just don't want to see you die. That bike can very easily kill you. Even in 1st gear. Don't mess with it. Your local MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) class will teach you all the basics. How to sit on the bike, how to walk the bike, shifting, turning, braking. All the basics you will need to be able to ride and steer. Please don't get on the bike again till you have a chance to take that class. We'd like to see you around these forums. I can't tell you how many people I know of started off like that and regret it for one reason or another. To make a point, my girlfriend wants to learn how to ride. I told her I wouldn't even show her anything till after she takes her MSF class. Once she takes that and passes it, i'll start to work with her.
If you are going to ignore our advice, please wear full gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. It can and will save your life. Good luck and please don't take any of this as a flame. It's meant to help you be a better rider.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:47 PM

I know I know, everyones right! MSF MSF MSF, I'm dying to get into that class, but my god! the waiting list on that is august! So what I tried to do last weekend was tried doing walk-ins... and basically that means you have to wait 3 hours and MAYBE, just MAYBE, there might be an open slot available. Another walk-in showed up in line at 5:00 and waited till 6:00. I sure as hell want to take the MSF, its just not easy to get into a class thats limited to only 12 people. Classes starts tomorrow, i'm getting in line at 3:00. Thanks for the helpful advices.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, I won't preach at you (the others did an excellent job) just give you a little info on your bike. In first gear your bike will exceed the speed limit of any state in the nation. Second gear is even faster. In first gear if you hiccup at the wrong time you're likely to be seeing stars. The faster a bike accelerates the more it tries to throw you off the back which means you end up giving it even more gas ... a vicious cycle.

I swear I'm not trying to bust your nuts ... this isn't some high fallootin club that you're not welcome in. Actually you're more than welcome but WHEN you fall off you're very likely to quit the bike club, and if you live, become a spiteful cager. And none of us want that.

Some advice for the parking lot sessions:

Honda has a booklet that shows you how to layout a course similar to the MSF with helpful practice exercises

COVER THE BRAKES - with your hand and your foot. If you goof and start rocketing skyward a tap on the rear brake can save your ***. But only if your foot is near the brake. Stuff happens very quickly.

Good luck dude!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 PM

Hay Man...
I hope you listen to all the good advice every one hear has said, But hear is a little more... Once you pass your MSF corse and wont to try your bike, go to your local highschool, and practice on the Grass, that way if you fall it wont kill you...

Take it slow, and you'll get it eventually...

In reply to (bubbeewuv0630) not...

Old 04-14-2005, 10:16 PM

Hay Man...
I hope you listen to all the good advice every one hear has said, But hear is a little more... Once you pass your MSF corse and wont to try your bike, go to your local highschool, and practice on the Grass, that way if you fall it wont kill you...

Take it slow, and you'll get it eventually...

Old 04-15-2005, 01:57 AM

With all that being said, welcome to the site, and congrats on the new bike. I am sure once you get used to it, you will be hooked forever.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you've had some invaluable advice from everyone here but one thing "Do not practice on the grass" as you will spend your time locating bits of your plastics. One blip of the trottle on tractionless grass will lead to costly repairs. Mate of mine started biking on a Yamaha YZF600 thundercat which i thought was too much and he had to pick it up off the road about 10 times in the first month so beware. What i did was rent a small capacity bike (250cc) for a week to get some miles and experience and most importantly save on the repair bills in the future. Have you any mates with smaller bikes that could let you take it for a few hours.

I presume then that your allowed to buy any bike you want without having passed a test? Over here, Ireland, you have to pass a theory and practical test and then your limited to a 33bhp machine for two years before you can get an unlimited licence.

Quick Reply: LoL, First ride story