CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My cbr story

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My cbr story

So last october i bought my first ever bike, an F2 obviously, and along the way ive done little things like hid install, yoshi slip on etc. i brought it over to a local shop to get new tires put on.. They did an all around check of the whole bike and the laundry list read as new rear rotor, front calipers rebuilt, new front brakes, new chain and sprocket. In all, the quote read almost as much as i paid for the bike.
So being mechanically inclined, i plan on doing the work myself. I purchased a RK chain and sprocket kit 530 stock gearing, Galfer rear wave rotor and some OEM caliper seals and EBC brakes.
Most of it is straight forward, the shop mechanic did mention that if im doing the calipers myself, to not let the master cylinder go empty at all cause it was seize it.

so ahead of my i have a somewhat decent job ahead of me seeing ill be doing it alone, but im looking forward 2 it. Is the master cylinder thing true?, if so how would you suggest pulling the calipers while keeping fluid in the master cylinder?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New one on me. If you let them go completely dry, it's a pain bleeding them, though.

There is a really good pictoral 'how-to' on a complete brake over-haul. Do a search on
the general tech forum for 'brakes', you should be able to find it. Check it out and then
come back for the nitty-gritty, if you have specific questions that search doesn't answer.

Ern

Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Ok thanx for the info.. now I'm just waiting on dust shields for the rear wheel, then I'm going to try to get it all done in one sitting

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Yes, if you let all the fluid drain out, its very difficult to prime it again. After I rebuild the master cylinder, I used a large syringe to pull fluid down from the reservoir to get things started. A Mityvac or similar would work as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM

yeah i rebuilt one caliper two days ago, now im waiting on the rest of the seals, i just pinched the hose with some vice grips, stuffed the nut with a rag then tucked it right side up, to keep fluid leak to a minimal..
I was trying to loosen the smaller sprocket but that things on their tight, next attempt im just gonna use air tools.. dont want to risk stripping the bolt.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM

so my chain and sprocket swap is complete as well as a new rear rotor. shes all put back together and purring nicely. i was all set and ready to get an inspection when the mechanic noticed my brake lights weren't turning on and one of the bulbs in the housing is blown. whats weird is that both rear and front brakes arent working as far as the light in concerned . what would be a good troubleshooting technique to narrow down the issue?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try changing the bulb.

Ern

Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats news to me on master could seize..i cant tell you how many i have drained and never hade any issues like that...did he have a reason why this will happen?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I'd try changing the bulb.

Ern
+1
My exact thought as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

thanx, turned out to be a dead bulb..ditto, my new battery died so i decided to test the RR and its shot, so thats on order, hopefully nothing else decides to stop working..

Quick Reply: My cbr story