New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

!st time motorcycle owner (Batcycle) CBR 600

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Yea the batlogo will make its appearance after the mechanics are all cleared out. It's my first bike so the engineering aspect is new to me for a motorcycle. but i've done work on car and boat engines so I'm not completely lost. I did find a couple of hiccups here and there that need serious looking into and fixing. the only rubber piece i found to be damaged was the rubber seal lining on a cable going down to the engine on the left side of the bike. Luckily my family is good friends with a mechanic for a motorsports store so hes going to take a look at the bike this week for free. (I work in the music industry so you know I'm broke) haha. Give it a good tune up.

I found the manual online the other day so i've been reading it like I have to write an essay.

JoushuaS: Thanks for the tip I will go today to try and find it.
Check out the video I put on youtube of me starting the bike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0PXekAoe4o
I stripped the bike just so I could inspect everything.
As far as paint is concerned I am going to keep it all black.

Let me know if you guys have questions on it. The more you ask me the more I know what to look for = the more i know. And knowing is half the battle (Wait i'm batman, not G.I. Joe.)

My goal is to get everything ready by Biketober fest and Halloween. That way I can just dress up like batman and ride around the city.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 AM
mpz

Was catwoman included? Meawww Welcome!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What hiccups did you run into? I've got issues up to my neck because the previous owner was hopelessly naive with too much money when it came to trusting people to work on her bike. But every issue so far has been solvable with a repair manual (mostly for how to do basic maintanence) and ebay. The Haynes manual ranks difficulty in 1-5 wrenches and I haven't gone past 2 wrenches yet to fix anything.

See what your buddy says is wrong and have a go at what you can yourself. The intimate knowledge of your bike you gain by doing it yourself is as invaluable as the knowledge you gain by riding it. Lot of guys at my office only know how to start and take their bikes back to the dealer.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Kuroshio: Well i just dropped off the bike this morning and just by looking at the dudes reaction I could tell I am going to be working on this for a while. All he said was that its going to take ALOT of work. Some bolts are bent that i didn't even notice. Some screws missing. Then he turned it on and checked it out, just as I was afraid of. the bike is running on only 2 cylinders. So I have a feeling that the batcycle wont be saving the citizens of Gotham any time soon.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM

This is going to be an interesting story. Welcome and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM

So I got some bad news. I called up the mechanic after 24 hours to try and get a gauge as to where i was at. He told me he was working on an estimate but that it was pretty much not worth the cost and effort to fix it cause there were so many things wrong with it. I'm waiting for the official estimate still. He didn't really give me a price but heres a few of the items on his list that I can remember. Cracked rims, gas tank rust is too much needs replacing, tires need to be replaced.... it went on for a while
Little my jaw dropped more and more. It started to feel like a girlfriend dumping me. I didn't even get to drive her yet.