New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Soon To Be CBR owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon To Be CBR owner

Hello CBR fans Currently do not own a CBR yet but I'm in the process of getting my license. I just passed my permit test today and I'm scheduled for my road/course test the 28th of this month. Hyped up for that day to come. But I have only but one issue....I need to know how to shift.Rephrase that....I know HOW to shift, only need to know the mechanics OF shifting. I know how to drive a stick shift on a car but my main question is : Is shifting on a sports bike the same mechanics of shifting on a car?? Does it have to be just as smooth when releasing the clutch and pushing on the gas as a car? I hope you understand my questions. I've tried googling for the answer but I don't seem to be getting the exact answers I'm looking for so hopefully you fellas could help me out!!! Thanks in advance!!I'll post pics after the 28th

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Soon To Be CBR owner

Take the course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They'll let you learn to ride on bikes they provide. Go to your Honda dealer and ask them about beginning rider courses. They'll hook you up.

To answer your question, the sportbike transmissions are amazing. Incredibly forgiving. Shifting will be super easy. Shifting with the timing of a racer to do serious performance riding will be hard. But just basically getting from one gear to the next under normal riding conditions will be a breeze.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Hey thanks alot bro.

Matter of fact the place where I'm getting my bike from is letting me rent out their scooter for the road test. Kind of a hefty price but I'll pay it. But aside from the price, they're actually setting up an exact course in their lot and letting me use the scooter that I'm going to rent to practice the course before I take the real deal, so my license is a no doubtcome this 28th.

I don't plan on doing any performance riding from the get go because I've never driven a motorcycle before in my life.

Ironic that you were the one to reply because I'm getting myself a 2007 Honda CBR600RR also. Where you from, bro?

But thanks again for the reply.

Any other responses would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 PM

A sportbike will be different from any manual car you have ever driven. The RPM's drop so fast that your shifting may not be perfect at first, but the sound of that dog tooth gear box will make you smile. An 07 RR will be OK if you take your damn time and understand that you ARE NOT capable and WILL NOT understand that bike for many months. Be careful and you may make it through the learning curve alive and unhurt. Think you are an AMA racer and you will be in trouble.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM

I'm in Arizona.

You'll love the 07 600RR. I just got mine in June after 3 years and 11,000 miles on a cruiser. Please be careful. I wrecked mine with only 800 miles. No especially bad terrain. And really, no exceptionally dangerous superfast riding. Just a noob got scared in a turn. Please take the poster's advice and grow into it slowly. I have 800 miles on my replacement bike (yeah I totalled the first one) that I got July 23. So I am new myself.

There are a lot of '07 600RR riders around. The bike is winning awards right and left, and sales are high. Honda is winning many converts from other middleweight riders with this one, and several people who have long had 1000RRs, R1s, and other high performance bikes are buying the 07 600RR because it's such an incredible machine. It's so incredibly rideable that I chose the 07 600RR (a track bike) to be my bike, even though I am mostly getting into sport touring. I chose it over the CBR 600 F4i, ZZR 600,Interceptor, SV1000S, and the FZ6. All notable fast bikes ideal for touring. It's quite comfortable and the handling is utterly amazing in addition to being superfast. Sometimes I can't believe I chose a race replica for my sport tourer, but it's just that much fun. It is plenty comfortable on long rides, and when you get to the twisties you were driving to, there is just nothing that can cut a corner like it.

Please be safe and don't repeat my mistake. Grow into it slowly. You'll love it.

Have fun.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 AM

Welcome

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 AM

Welcome to the CBR famil. I suggest you take the course. If not take it slow on the bike. My very first bike I bought was a GSX-R 1k. BAD CHOICE on my end. It was a great bike but I had not idea what I was doing. I turn the bike up from the groung up and back again. I didn't fall but I turn up the cluth several times trying to get the timing down on the bike. It takes awhile but you get it. CBR 600 is a good choice for starters. Congrats on the bike and eb easy on the road until you know the bike like you own name...hopefully you know your name forward and backwards at this point. Onc eyou learn on the 600 jump up to the 1000RR with the rest of us. Nothing like the CBR 1KRR....whoa nelly!!! LOL

peace and ride safe!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 AM

Welcome to the forum. That's a lot of bike for your first ride...take it easy -- these things fly!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 AM

MAKE SURE THAT YOU TAKE THE COURSE AND TAKE THESE GUY'S ADVICE. I MYSELF HAVE A CBR 1000RR AND IT IS ALOT MORE BIKE THAN THE 600RR TO HANDLE, THE 600RR IS A VERY SWEET RIDE, JUST RESPECT THE MACHINE AND IT WILL RESPECT YOU IN RETURN. THE COURSE WILL TEACH YOU ALOT ABOUT RIDING AND THE SAFTY ASPECTS OF THE ROAD AND OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD. HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK ON THE TEST. IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO PASS.