New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Safety Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Safety Information

ORIGINAL: Juggernaut

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Question about gear ... I have already purchased Vortex Frame slider pucks/bases for my bike, AlpineStars Mesh Padded Jacket, and Olympia Performance Gloves. Currently I am looking to buy a nice pair of riding pants that will protect my knees and butt an that can easily beput on and taken off. Most of my riding is done in 10 - 20 mile increments at speeds around 45 - 60mphs with many stops involved. Which pair of riding pantswould you experienced riders recommend for that kind of riding style? Is there pants that slip over shorts? And do you think the mesh performance jacket is good protection?
The vortex sliders are junk. I am swapping my vortex sliders out and I have a set of FI sliders on order that are almost three times longer and will do a much better job of protecting the rest of the bike enough that a low-side at slow to moderate speed won't destroy critical components like brake levers and pegs.
www.freestyleingenuity.com
The Vortex arent junk, but they aint made for stunting like the ones you ordered. Slider are meant to 'slide' n keep your bike from grinding away from sliding on the pavement. Crash bars are meant to asorb impact from dropping your bike. Vortex is race proven and I like mine. 8)

Like everything I have read thus far. N00bs will find this a wealth of knowledge n hopefully lead them a safe path on this addiction of ours.

Peace.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Hard braking helps warm up the tire quicker.
No! Grabbing mad brake on cold tires is what sent me sliding on my first bike (Ninja 250, yeah!) so just go cautiously and take the time. You'll feel it when the magic is right...

Great thread Six, welcome! [sm=joke.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Make a habit of riding your bike in the leftish part of the lane on most roads (where the left tires of cagers usually roll). This way you can avoid the oily grease, man-hole covers and other booby traps left by thoughtless city planners in the center of most lanes of travel (not you CityWorker). Especially when you come to a stop, because if you put your foot down in oil, it's all over. Plus, since its more likely that you may have to avoid some cagetard pulling out into your lane, you'll have that extra split second of space to react. Even on freeways I'll ride this way, because it gives those box-driving brainless chodes a chance to see your brights in their driver's side left mirror and their rear-view.

Remember, just assume that ALL CAR DRIVERS WANT TO KILL YOU. This is where most of them spend their time while driving:

If you can't stop throwing the bird, buy a Deepak Chopra book, study it, and learn to breathe properly and effectively. If you radiate respect, you will attract respect. Ask me how long it took to figure that one out...

Buy the best gear you can afford and make them your best friends for life. Get it? FOR LIFE!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR
Great thread Six, welcome! [sm=joke.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
LoL.

Pre-Scan the area where you'll be stopping. Look for gravel, oil, sticks, etc. Anything thing that will make your feet slip. This happens more then you'll expect. Buddy of mine did it yesterday up in the mountains at a stop sign [&:], but the bike didn't touch the ground, only the rear fender of another rider.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 PM

and as a side note loud pipes save lives!!! I dont know how many times being heard before i was seen has saved me from becoming a stain espically on the highway, but remember it depends on your local laws, virgina is starting to crack down on anything they think is too loud, also like others have said in this thread dont ride outside of your skill level, progress your skills and confideance slowly and safely, oh and always wear your gear!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: Juggernaut

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Question about gear ... I have already purchased Vortex Frame slider pucks/bases for my bike, AlpineStars Mesh Padded Jacket, and Olympia Performance Gloves. Currently I am looking to buy a nice pair of riding pants that will protect my knees and butt an that can easily beput on and taken off. Most of my riding is done in 10 - 20 mile increments at speeds around 45 - 60mphs with many stops involved. Which pair of riding pantswould you experienced riders recommend for that kind of riding style? Is there pants that slip over shorts? And do you think the mesh performance jacket is good protection?
The vortex sliders are junk. I am swapping my vortex sliders out and I have a set of FI sliders on order that are almost three times longer and will do a much better job of protecting the rest of the bike enough that a low-side at slow to moderate speed won't destroy critical components like brake levers and pegs.
www.freestyleingenuity.com
The Vortex arent junk, but they aint made for stunting like the ones you ordered. Slider are meant to 'slide' n keep your bike from grinding away from sliding on the pavement. Crash bars are meant to asorb impact from dropping your bike. Vortex is race proven and I like mine. 8)

Like everything I have read thus far. N00bs will find this a wealth of knowledge n hopefully lead them a safe path on this addiction of ours.

Peace.
"Junk" was too harsh a term and I typed that in the heat of the moment after seeing what happened to my bike. The damage coulda been worse, but I wasn't able to ride away from a low speedlowside as mypeg got broken off because of the ginormous feeler caught on the asphalt, bentback my rear brake lever (still bent),and the front brake lever I should have cut broke at the pivot. I'm still going to need a new engine/stator cover eventually, but as it was I only had to spend $38 to get the bike back to 98% condition, so I'd say they did their job of protecting the frame and engine pretty well. I wasn't stunting and don't plan on it, I only got the sliders, the engine cage would only get in the way of serious riding and I needed sliders that would protect the pegs and clip-ons a little better.

BOT:
If you're not used to it already, downshift all the way to first before coming to a stop and put down your left foot first. This hasbeen posted before but here is another reason:if you're on an incline, it makes starting off easier as you won't have to juggle braking and shifting into first. This is especially helpful if you're a beginner and haven't mastered using your right hand to control brake and throttle simultaneously for starts on hills and/or downshifting. Also, starting off on an incline is nowhere near as hard as the courses make it sound. I've never had a problem on my bike or any of my MT cars.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM

I actually went with the KR Tuned Sliders instead .. it's what the local deali had in stock.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM

I.C.E.- IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Be prepared. People who need to be contacted ICE should have the letters "ICE" in front of their name on your cell. This may help those who are helping you contact your loved ones/friends. A list of emergency contact numbers in your wallet or somewhere else is important in case your phone is inop. Make sure your license is filled out with your organ donation desires. If you have a Do Not Recesitate (DNR) desire, make sure it is noted somewhere. Even more important than all the phone numbers and such, tell your family what your wishes are and put them in writing. If you don't want to be a vegetable, make sure that they know. If you want to give up all your organs, make sure that they know. Sorry to be morbid, but these things are terribly important. Who wants their family to be grief stricken and unable to figure out what your desires are?

I always carry my Honda toolbag in my backpack that is bungee netted to the back of the bike. I never understood the point of having a tool kit that is hidden under a body part you need tools to take off. I also carry my tire pressure gauge and a foot tire pump ($8@ Walmart). I picked up a first aid kit that I also always have on hand. All these items are simple and cheap and should be a part of any ride.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM

Bump.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Bump.

Quick Reply: Safety Information