New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Safety Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Safety Information

Get one of those bungee net things at your local dealer. That ought to do it. There might be a better way.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Bump for the newbs.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM

Riding at night: Slow down. The term 'over-riding your headlights' is a direct reference to how much light your headlamps put out and how quickly you cover the distance illuminated. If you are traveling too quickly, you will not be able to perceive and react to something in your illuminated path of travel before you are upon it. Slowing down not only makes it more likely that hitting something will not cause serious injury if you are geared up, but it also allows time for reaction and decreases braking distances.

Maybe we should turn this into a story telling thread. Anyone care to enlighten us as to a situation, either past or recent, in which good riding or preparation saved you or your bike.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Riding at night: Slow down. The term 'over-riding your headlights' is a direct reference to how much light your headlamps put out and how quickly you cover the distance illuminated. If you are traveling too quickly, you will not be able to perceive and react to something in your illuminated path of travel before you are upon it. Slowing down not only makes it more likely that hitting something will not cause serious injury if you are geared up, but it also allows time for reaction and decreases braking distances.

Maybe we should turn this into a story telling thread. Anyone care to enlighten us as to a situation, either past or recent, in which good riding or preparation saved you or your bike.
Ditto on slowing down at night.

As for storytelling, I'll leave it at: stay near the center of on-/off-ramps. There is a lot of detritus and gravel along the outer edges, even inside the outer thirds of the lane.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM

This is a great topic. I just started riding this summer and have put about 2200 miles on my 89 600F. I took the MSF class before I ever took my bike on the road and it has helped a lot. Go take the MSF as soon as you can. I have been lucky enough to have my two oldest brothers take me out a few times, one leading the way and the other following me. I am 30 and they are both in their mid 40s and they have been riding for 20+ years. They stress patience and riding at my own pace. My brother who rides in front is there to help show me the correct lines for turns and the one behind me gathers info for me so when we stop he can help correct any mistakes or give me suggestions to help build my confidence.
If you have a couple friends who are patient enough, I would suggest this for a few reasons. One they are around for saftey, two you can learn a lot by watching a SAFE experienced rider and three they can help tutor you riding skills. The key element in this is Riding at Your Own Pace.
+1 on the riding gear. Wear it all the time.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Question about gear ... I have already purchased Vortex Frame slider pucks/bases for my bike, AlpineStars Mesh Padded Jacket, and Olympia Performance Gloves. Currently I am looking to buy a nice pair of riding pants that will protect my knees and butt an that can easily beput on and taken off. Most of my riding is done in 10 - 20 mile increments at speeds around 45 - 60mphs with many stops involved. Which pair of riding pantswould you experienced riders recommend for that kind of riding style? Is there pants that slip over shorts? And do you think the mesh performance jacket is good protection?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Textile jackets are good but leather is the best. As for pants, Icon makes some good riding jeans that I use. I have barrier jeans and they go on/off easy and I can wear shorts underneath. If you want, you could get some textile pants with armor that would provide even more protection for impacts. Check with your local dealers for pants because the ability to try something on for fitment and feelis very important.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

Tires also take time to warm up a bit, dont scream out of your driveway on a cold morning, or you could be in for a surprise.
+1 Had a buddy leave for work in the morning (a 'showboater' kind of friend, if you know what I mean), cold tires with high miles.
1. How long should you ride your bike in the morning before taking turns?

2. If the tires are cold, how should turns be negotiated

3. For the love of God, and everything sacred can you please tell me what a 'cager' is?

Thanks!

E

Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRYDR

1. How long should you ride your bike in the morning before taking turns?

2. If the tires are cold, how should turns be negotiated

3. For the love of God, and everything sacred can you please tell me what a 'cager' is?
A tire can perform to it's potential only when it attains its optimum running temp. It varies by tire. I generally give it a couple of miles before the freeway. Hard braking helps warm up the tire quicker.

When tires are cold, they will not perform as you expect them to. So don't get off of your driveway & hit the first 35 mph turn at 70mph. Most often the rear will slip if it's not warm enuff.

And, a cager is someone who drives a car, truck or anything where the individual is protected(inside a cage).

Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Question about gear ... I have already purchased Vortex Frame slider pucks/bases for my bike, AlpineStars Mesh Padded Jacket, and Olympia Performance Gloves. Currently I am looking to buy a nice pair of riding pants that will protect my knees and butt an that can easily beput on and taken off. Most of my riding is done in 10 - 20 mile increments at speeds around 45 - 60mphs with many stops involved. Which pair of riding pantswould you experienced riders recommend for that kind of riding style? Is there pants that slip over shorts? And do you think the mesh performance jacket is good protection?
The vortex sliders are junk. I am swapping my vortex sliders out and I have a set of FI sliders on order that are almost three times longer and will do a much better job of protecting the rest of the bike enough that a low-side at slow to moderate speed won't destroy critical components like brake levers and pegs.
www.freestyleingenuity.com

Quick Reply: Safety Information