New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

riding the dragon

Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding the dragon

im leaving thurs. going to nc. to ride the tail of the dragon; coming back sat. if anyone has never heard of it; it's a 11 mile stretch of mountain road that has 318 curves; hope to come back home in one piece. if anyone here has road it feel free to give me some tips. thanks scott

Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: riding the dragon

I live close to it and rode it many times. The first time that you go through take it easy and check out the area. You want to look for debris in the road and just get an overall feel of it before you go pushing yourself. Plus the po po have been out alot up there lately. Some of those turns don't look bad until you get into them so just try to concentrate on holding your line and be very very cautious if you try to pass someone. That is how most accidents happen up there. Hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Good luck, have fun & be safe!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM

my buddy just left there a couple of hours ago. bas turd went down there without me.[:@] cause I had to work. He said there were cops everywhere yesterday.
3 actually on the dragon, but there werent any out today.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Retired Administrator

cops are thick after an incident. I've crossed the 11 miles a few times and love it more each time.

Becareful on your first pass... many good riders loose a bike there.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM

I made the trip last month and it was awesome.It something youll talk about for a long time.I always say i never could of imagined it if i had never ridden it.Id agree with some of the others and ride slow your first few passes because some of the turns will come up real fast and make sure to ride the outer most edge of your line alot of bikers like to crowd the middle of the lane and thats where the accidents happen.On the lighter side make sure you make a trip down the hill and ride the Skyway ..its a nice 40 mile jaunt of gradual turns that are easily handled at 70mph..One more thing done pay attention to the Killboy cameras in the corners they will make u forget what your doing...post pics...

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/CBRFREEK/Road Trip/

Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM

sky way at a relaxed pace of 70mph. that is a great road, I dont care to say how fast I took that road the first time across. Way too fast, If I remember right, I was in 3rd most of the time, in the double rpm digits, grinding my pegs off. couldnt peel the smile off my face for days. It was however, very light traffic that day, it was a thursday or friday morning, like 10am.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

I hit the dragon for the first time a couple months ago. It was outstanding. I took the advice of veteran dragon slayers and did a pass or two to see the turns and learn the road. By the last day I was riding harder and using more tire than I have everused on a public road. Came home in one piece and now scheduling a date to take a race course; maybe at VIR. Have fun! Ride SAFE!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 AM

Hwy 28 from the store at Deal's Gap is also a great road, but be aware on the Cherohala Skyway, thats a federal park road, tickets can be very expensive. Plus with the high speeds your tempted to run, there is guard rail lining just about the whole road that's like running into a buzz saw if you lose it. I know too many folks that found out the hard way, some that are no longer around because of it. Just keep your focus on all those roads up there and enjoy the ride, if you want to site see, pull over or take a car.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 AM

Hi everyone! Im brand new to the forum, and just started lookin around. Saw the post about the dragon....a friend of mine makes the trip down there from philly once a year....sounds like fun!Anyways, I just got back from Glacier National Park in northern Montana, and there are some sick *** twistys on the east side of the park and surrounding areas. Its all moto friendly, its montana, just thought Id toss it out there!