Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best way to get to the dragon??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get to the dragon??

Me and my buddies will be headed again sometime in September. Probably Labor Day weekend so we all have time off. We will be headed from dayton ohio with 3 bikes on a trailer to Crossville Tn to my moms for the night. Roughly 6 hours about 7-8 with the girls and bikes. Then we will head to gatlinburg to check into our cabin for the weekend. Does anyone know the best, fastest, easiest way to the Tennessee side of the Dragon from Gatlinburg? I know from Knoxville you can catch 129 all the way in to the lake. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Default RE: Best way to get to the dragon??

just got to mapquest.com a search a point of interest like Deals Gap or something of that sort. something along the tail and it will give you directions. Print them out and keep them on your while you go. Im heading down there this summer also., I cant wait.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Retired Administrator

What cabins are you staying at? I'm staying at ski mountain chalets this weekend. I did a couple of map quest searches for you and came up with this:

to reach the TN side first with the shortest route, it shows 2 hours. I'm sure you can do better than that cause it's only 62 miles

1: Start out going EAST on SKI MOUNTAIN RD toward COOK DR. 0.4 miles
2: Turn RIGHT onto PARKWAY / US-441 / TN-71. Continue to follow US-441 S / TN-71 S. 1.7 miles
3: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto LITTLE RIVER RD / OLD TN-73. Continue to follow OLD TN-73. 11.7 miles
4: Turn LEFT onto CADES COVE RD. 13.1 miles
5: Turn LEFT onto CADES COVE LOOP RD / ANTHONY CREEK RD. Continue to follow CADES COVE LOOP RD. 4.8 miles
6: Turn LEFT onto FORGE CREEK RD. 2.8 miles
7: FORGE CREEK RD becomes PARSON BRANCH RD. 7.2 miles
8: Turn LEFT onto US-129 / TN-115. Continue to follow US-129 (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 20.1 miles

to reach the NC side first, it shows 1 hour 43 minutes and 75 miles.

1: Start out going EAST on SKI MOUNTAIN RD toward COOK DR. 0.4 miles Map
2: Turn RIGHT onto PARKWAY / US-441 / TN-71. Continue to follow US-441 S (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 34.2 miles Map
3: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto US-19. 4.9 miles Map
4: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto HYATT CREEK RD. 1.7 miles Map
5: Merge onto US-74 W. 10.9 miles Map
6: Turn RIGHT onto NC-28. 11.3 miles Map
7: Turn LEFT onto NC-143 / SWEETWATER RD. Continue to follow NC-143. 10.2 miles Map
8: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto US-129 / TAPOCO RD.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 PM

All I know is when we went through Gatlinburg on the weekend, the traffic was horrible. My wife went back later to do some shopping and I refused to go because of the traffic. I would avoid the main drag like the plague if it were me. YMMV.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Yeah the mine drag is a bitch. I appreciate the help don. I dont know which we are staying in yet. When me and my wife went we stayed in a company called timber tops. It was breathtaking. The ones we are looking at now are called cabins of the smokies. Pretty plain name but they still loke amazing. If you have never been to the dragon avoid the hell bender wasn't to impressed. But definite hit cherola skyway not many twisties but beautiful riding. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 PM

Hey F4, let me know when you get into crossville. I would love to head out there with y'all (if ya don't mind another bike riding with ya). I live approximately 15 minutes from crossville.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:48 PM

Sounds good. We are taking my buddies f150 unless he gets his dodge by then and we got a trailer so the more the merrier. I will warn you we dont try to set any records across that road. I would much rather come back alive then haul ***. If you get bored blow down chestnuthill thats the road my moms lives off its not to shabby. a few twist and decent straights.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 AM

Oh trust me, you may be waiting for me at the end! lol. Not interested in breaking speed records OR my new baby. Just love to ride!!! Unload the bikes in crossville and hit POW Camp rd. Smooth, curvy, very little traffic. Pass it everyday on my way home and have to hit it every time (I go to school in crossville).

Old 06-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: F4Isvt

Yeah the mine drag is a bitch. I appreciate the help don. I dont know which we are staying in yet. When me and my wife went we stayed in a company called timber tops. It was breathtaking. The ones we are looking at now are called cabins of the smokies. Pretty plain name but they still loke amazing. If you have never been to the dragon avoid the hell bender wasn't to impressed. But definite hit cherola skyway not many twisties but beautiful riding. Thanks again for the help.
WTF!!!! Check out my avatar pic... one of many from the hell bender. Why were you not impressed? I just got back a few hours ago from there and it was still fun in the rain. Only made 3 trips cause the slick stuff is no joke. It is one hell of a work out.

I stayed in Ski Mountain Chalets this time and they were great. Had a little trouble with our first chalet, but they bent over backwards to fix it. And by backwards I mean the first nights stay was free. The hot tub was, let's just say bad. The furniture was broken, TV's missing and much more. It looked like the last crew that rented it had a little fight and helped themselves to some free stuff. The second chalet they gave us was for the same price, but the hot tub was clean and twice the size, we had a pool table and air hockey table combo. The family went with me... other wise I could care less about TV's and the likes.

But please, please, please... tell me how you could not love the dragon??

Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 PM

No I love the tail US129 it is a blast. I just didnt really enjoy the hell bender that much. It might have been the 5 hours of riding I had already done. I am sure if I rode it first I would have a different view on it.