New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

'nother new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'nother new guy!

Hey all,

I'm Rob, I'm 29, and I've got a 1987 Hurricane (600).

I've stumbled across the site several times in the couple years since I got it, doing research, etc. Not really much of a 'forum guy' but I figured rather than lurking any longer I ought to join up and say 'hi'.

Sadly, the bike is a little beat up at the moment... I had a low-speed (20mph or so) lowside the other night on my way home from work. It was much colder than it had been the last couple of weeks (I'm in Westchester, NY) and I had a brain fart about 1/8th of a mile after leaving work. Forgetting that the tires and the pavement were both about 30 degrees, I gave it a little too much gas, or came off the clutch a little too fast, or maybe both. (where's the "sheepish grin" smilie?) Needles to say the bike wound up on its side and I made my way as elegantly as I could manage, onto my back and elbows.

I'm 100% ok, not even stiff or sore. Gear all did its job perfectly.

Bike is rideable, but will need a bunch of work I can't really afford at the moment, to get it pretty again. cest la vie I guess.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals! Apologies in advance if my first few conversations are "any suggestions on fixing..." etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hiyu Rob ..welcome to the CBRF ..
I am glad you joined up mate ... its not much fun just lurking
Your 87Cane 600 is the original sin a very nice classic ..
Take a few picks of her damaged so we my be can may be give you a few clues with the repairs ..
Its very easy to go down like that in the cold mate .. cold tires cold road tired after work ..bingo !!

Sorry 'bout that, meant to include a link to photos in the original...
http://flickr.com/gp/croberthyman/t50Ep5
All "post damage"
I'll hunt down some "pretty" pictures tomorrow.

Near as I can tell, the residue below where the faring is rashed through was just from when it was on its side. I've had the cover off and there's no accumulation of oil, spillage, nothing that i can identify as damage to the engine or transmission. Starts, runs, holds oil. Seems fine.

I've got the little connecting rod on the gearshift lever bent straight again, but I'm sure it needs to be fine-tuned a bit... seems to shift through all the gears parked at idle (and tested out 1-3 around the parking lot), but not in that "nice and smooth and angels singing" kind of way, it takes a bit of attention to be sure you've got it. Suggestions on how to get that right, or perhaps if there's somebody local I could buy a cup of coffee for in exchange for a quick look at it? (then out for a celebratory "she may be a little ugly but she's still a blast ride" of course!)

Other than that, the only thing really keeping it off the road until I replace/repair it is the sheared off left side mirror. It must have hit at just the right angle to crack it instead of collapsing it on its spring. figures.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Figured you might like the red and white

I've tried at several times over the years to learn guitar, each time spending just a little bit too much money on a new toy to try to guilt myself into it... but to no avail.

Hence the two old guitars up for sale!