New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

NEWB to the forum and motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB to the forum and motorcycles

Hi All,

I already posted in another section, but was asked to also come here and introduce myself. So Hello.

As title says, I am new to the forum and Motorcycles. I just got a 92 CBR600 F2. We bought it from a friend of my wife's for $700. She was selling it to get rid of it. She bought it a few years ago and felt it had to much power for her so she was letting a friend ride it they dropped it doing like 10 mph around the corner from her house and cracked something and it leaked oil instantly, so they walked it home. It doesn't look in bad shape other than the plastics being scrapped up and needing to be cleaned. It has been parked for the last 3 years in a garage. She said it ran great prior to the drop and parking it. It shows 192K on the odometer.

Other than just replacing some stuff and small rebuild, i.e. replacing rings and chain and cleaning essential stuff, due to the time it has sat I don't plan on doing anything crazy. Just something for me to ride back and forth to work.

All in all I plan to clean it up and put maybe $1500 max, if needed, to get it back in a nice running order. Even then based on some of the prices I have seen for these bikes in my area I would be about par with prices they are going for in great condition. I do plan on doing all the work myself. I am mechanical and am used to working on cars and trucks as well as scheduled maintanence on the wife's and my scooters. Yes I said scooters. That is may daily right now. Besides 100mpg is alot nicer than the 12mpg my Tahoe was getting before I had to park it.

I hope to take the Basic Riders Course needed for my license in next couple of months. Not is a rush right now since got to fix the bike, but definitely want to tike it before the bike is done.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

good luck with the project and hope you can make everything that she can be out of her.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the welcomes.

I plan to take my time and get the bike done correctly. But I am ready to ride .

Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wise choice on deciding to take the MSF. I recommend it to everyone, especially to new riders. Too, w/a tight budget, it will get you a small break on your insurance.

I applaud you doing all the work on your bike. Hope you're able to complete the work you want to do under budget & the way you want it.

Yes!...I think it will be a great ride-to-work bike!

Again, welcome aboard.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I applaud you doing all the work on your bike. Hope you're able to complete the work you want to do under budget & the way you want it.
Thanks, I normally do all my work on all my vehicles, with some help from friends when needed. This includes everything from maintenance to modification. Now with a bike I hope to learn the ins and outs of them as well. First step is to get a service manual of some sort for the bike.

Barring any major unexpected issues, based on what I seen price wise for parts and the stuff I plan on doing I am hoping to stay less than $1000 which is even better. But we will see once I get started. Hope to start doing some work on it tonight after I leave work.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There may be a link in the F2 section or elsewhere on the forum to online versions of the service manual. That would save a few bucks as well. ;-)

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM

^^^ thanks for the info

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM

congrats on the bike! and you will love the course! i had great teachers and learned quickly!