CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

NEWB to the forum and motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB to the forum and motorcycles

Hi All,

As title says, I am new to the forum and Motorcycles. I just got a 92 CBR600 F2, hence why I am posting here lol. We bought it from a friend of my wife's for $700. She was selling it to get rid of it. She bought it a few years ago and felt it had to much power for her so she was letting a friend ride it they dropped it doing like 10 mph around the corner from her house and cracked something and it leaked oil instantly, so they walked it home. It doesn't look in bad shape other than the plastics being scrapped up and needing to be cleaned. It has been parked for the last 3 years in a garage. She said it ran great prior to the drop and parking it.

So I am a mechanical person working on cars and such. But here are my questions. The odometer shows 192K miles. Since it has been sitting so long and not cranked I am going to be doing a rebuild just for my own satisfaction, but prefer only to change what is absolutely necessary.

I haven't pulled it apart yet since I just got it to my shop Sunday. But I plan on pulling it apart to change the piston rings both due to mileage and not running for so long. Also going to clean the fuels system, tank, carbs, lines. Change the chain. and check out the tranny.

It only seemed to shift through like 4 gears and couldn't find neutral, Seams like it is stuck going from like 3rd through 6th. However, reading here it seams if you are not moving a little bit it may not engage the lower gears from higher gears. So I am going to check that and probably go ahead and change the clutches at the minimum.

So any other thoughts on stuff to check and maybe replace. I read alot about these bikes being very strong and reliable so I may not have to fix or replace much. but just want to know. I plan on doing the work myself and hope to stay below $1500 at the max. Which seems like it should be doable.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Resolve. Congrats on getting your F2. $700?!?...what a deal!

Come on over to the New Member section & give everyone a general introduction as well.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 AM

Bikes typically dont like to shift through more than a couple gears without moving. Try rolling it back and forth a couple inches while shifting. What caused the oil leak?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by buickid
Bikes typically dont like to shift through more than a couple gears without moving. Try rolling it back and forth a couple inches while shifting. What caused the oil leak?
As for shifting that is what I figured.

As for the oil leak When they dropped it I believe it was the alternator cover that got cracked and it leaked oil. The person riding it then walked it to her house which was around the corner. Was never started after it was dropped and the oil started leaking.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Don't worry about the shifting into higher gears... that is normal, rolling it a bit will get you into the higher gears, and if it doesn't you should still wait to get it going before being concerned. You also don't need to get a new clutch in it (waste of money until you ride it and find out for sure if it needs it).

Just drain the oil, get a new cover and gasket, replace cover and fill with oil (make sure you use motorcycle specific oil as a lot of car oil will eat your water pump seals).

Cleaning the carbs/tank/petcock/gas lines is probably necessary after sitting for 3 years and maybe new spark plugs. Oh, and most likely a new battery.

Other than that you should be good to go!!! these bikes are SUPER reliable... if you just do the above it should cost less than $300, unless you NEED a new chain/sprockets.... then it might be over $400.

$100 cover + $20 gasket + $50 oil + $50 plugs + $20 carb cleaner and other shop supplies

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
Don't worry about the shifting into higher gears... that is normal, rolling it a bit will get you into the higher gears, and if it doesn't you should still wait to get it going before being concerned. You also don't need to get a new clutch in it (waste of money until you ride it and find out for sure if it needs it).

Just drain the oil, get a new cover and gasket, replace cover and fill with oil (make sure you use motorcycle specific oil as a lot of car oil will eat your water pump seals).

Cleaning the carbs/tank/petcock/gas lines is probably necessary after sitting for 3 years and maybe new spark plugs. Oh, and most likely a new battery.

Other than that you should be good to go!!! these bikes are SUPER reliable... if you just do the above it should cost less than $300, unless you NEED a new chain/sprockets.... then it might be over $400.

$100 cover + $20 gasket + $50 oil + $50 plugs + $20 carb cleaner and other shop supplies
Yeah I figured I would wait to get it moving then check to see how clutches does.

You think the rings would be fine sitting that long?

I need a new chain the one on there is rusted pretty bad.

Thanks for the info

Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Ya, the rings will be FINE... just turn the engine over by hand before running it (to pump a bit of oil up into the head. or you could squirt a bit of oil in when you are changing the plugs but I have been told that turning it over slowly is much better for dry rings.

If you need to replace the chain you should do the sprockets at the same time.

also check the age of your tires... old ones dry out and the rubber is brittle and doesn't grip the road properly.

you might also think about bleeding the brakes.... old brake fluid sucks (as you probably know) and it is cheap and easy to flush the fluid with new stuff.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the info.

Based on your suggestion here is my plan.
  1. Flush all fluids, i.e. oil, brakes, etc.
  2. Replace the cover
  3. Clean fuel system, i.e. carbs, tank, lines, etc.
  4. Change plugs
  5. New chain and sprockets
  6. New tires
  7. And other stuff I may come across
Thanks agian for the info. I will start with this and see what happens. If it works out then you save me a few hundred. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resolve
Thanks for the info.

Based on your suggestion here is my plan.
  1. Flush all fluids, i.e. oil, brakes, etc.
  2. Replace the cover
  3. Clean fuel system, i.e. carbs, tank, lines, etc.
  4. Change plugs
  5. New chain and sprockets
  6. New tires
  7. And other stuff I may come across
Thanks agian for the info. I will start with this and see what happens. If it works out then you save me a few hundred. Thanks.

Make sure your fork oil is in that list of fluids! Easy to overlook.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Will do.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Quick Reply: NEWB to the forum and motorcycles