New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New young guy here

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New young guy here

Hey whats up im Cody I live in Oklahoma, Im 16 and looking for my first bike. Im wanting a cbr600 and im looking at a 02 right now. Don't think im just jumping on a big bike without any experience, I've been riding dirtbikes for about 7 years and racing mx and xc for about 3 years so I have a little bit of experience.
But just wanting to say hey and it would be nice if you guys could give me some tips on buying my first bike

here is the one im looking at, what do you think about it?
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/995765492.html

Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Default RE: New young guy here

I agree. Take a course. Go for the advanced rider course, that way your not pushing someone around on a bike. I also raced mx before geting on the street at 16. Im 34 now, and I even took a refresher course 2 summers ago. My first bike was a Katana 600 so that bike looks great and also looks like a steal. See ya on the road....

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Retired Admin

Hey Cody, Welcome to the site and the world of street and CBR's! Good choice for a first street bike. Keep in mind though street and dirt are two different animals! ust show the same respect of the street you give the dirt and you'll be ok. The bike looks good. A steal at $2500 but check a few things....Chain, Sprockets, Fork Seals, Tires, and such....general maint. stuff but if any of that is bad it could be the reason for the price drop. Those bikes are bullet proof! Will go forever! 14,500 is nothing on that bike! Keep it in good shape you'll have it for as long as you want it. There are some great tutorials on here and some great people to chat with about the riding. Juliet posted a great thread about counter steering you should check out too! Keep us inofrmed and let me know if you need any help getting around!
~Chris

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Cody and welcome to the board! Lots of great advice already so I'll try not to repeat too much When you go to check out a bike bring someone with you that knows as much as possible about bikes. Somebody had to keep those dirt bikes going for you so that would be a good source of info.

And somebody also mentioned a rider course. Not a bad idea. The MSF does not cost much and will put your head in the right place to start riding on the street. Just imagine that every single car you see is a soccer mom on a cell phone and she wants to run over you and your bike ... that is where your head needs to be all the time.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 AM

I agree with them, look the bike over really close because that price is almost to good to be true. If it is possible take someone who has been riding for a little while that will know what to look for, just my 2 cents. Welcome to the board and defiantly take a rider course, best money you will every spend.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM

check this website out, its pretty detailed on the things u wanna look for, its posted somewhere on the forum, hope it helps
http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Atrain_600rr

check this website out, its pretty detailed on the things u wanna look for, its posted somewhere on the forum, hope it helps
http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Its a sticky in the General Tech forum.