New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider Here With Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Here With Question

As the title states, I'm a new rider at the age of 29. I just bought an 06 CBR600RR couple weeks back, and figured I would join a forum to learn everything I can. I have been riding non stop to work and back, around town and taking a safety course 2 weekends from now. Anyways, I swerved to miss a car that went into my lane, and I went into the ditch and not sure about damage (see pic/link subframe??), I did ride it home ok and checked the tires, chain and everything seemed ok until I actually looked at it from the back, any ideas? Thanks for your time..

https://imgur.com/a/wV3gm?s=sms

Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How unfortunate. The most valuable skill you will learn, with years of riding, is to predict the stupid stuff cars will do before they do it. Not a day goes by in which a car does something dumb in my path. I've just learned to see it before it happens and avoid it. In time, you will too.

On to your bike,. Looks like the tail subframe is bent pretty good. You may be able to bend it back into shape, or just replace it. Get it the stuff off of it and take a closer look.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is so much valuable information I am trying to acquire and keep, thank goodness for youtube, and yes I am trying to pay attention more to other drivers and learn to be more focused on things ie other drivers, as that person didn't even stop. Anyways thank you for your response, and I am going to have my shop try to bend it back. Is it safe to ride or just park it till fixed?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

As demon says........yes sub frame looks like it's taken the brunt of the damage from your trip into the ditch.
Hope that's all but you'll know more when you strip the rear end.
It might be worth leaving some parts attached, but loosened, if your going to attack it with a bar to realign whilst still on the bike.
In the past I have removed subframe to bend back into shape and it's much better to do it in small increments so you don't go past your sweet point and have to go backwards with your tweeking. Doing it in position will mean you'll probably be tempted to used leverage from another part of your frame which could have you going in circles. That wouldn't do your frame any favours . A paddock stand would help as well as you'll have an easier job of eyeing up your handiwork as you go.
Best of luck and make sure she's all safe to go once done.