New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New member - Melbourne. 1990 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 AM
UNM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - Melbourne. 1990 CBR1000F

I found this forum while troubleshooting a couple of minor issues with my bike.

So far, I have referenced the stick coils and the valve clearance threads and found them helpful.

I decided to join the forum as I hope to be able to contribute a little here and there.

I bought the CBR1000F as it was available for 'the right price' and I previously owned one for a short while back in the UK in 1990 (replacement for a stolen '83 GPZ1100). Back then, the CBR1000F was a new (ex-demo) bike and my rose tinted memory led me to buy this one even though I knew it was old, a project and would likely be a money pit.

The seller seemed honest enough so I took a 40km trip to look at it.

Once I got there, he showed me the bike and the large box of parts that had been removed (bodywork, lights, etc). He started it up and it ran like a champ despite the ad saying it ran rough and needed a carb rebuild.

All the body parts were there, but many lugs and mountings were broken. The bike was multi coloured due to replacement panels. As the ad said $1500 non negotiable, I was prepared to pay his price - he then said he'd take less. Deal done and for a slab of beer he was willing to deliver it too.
He kindly gave me the new genuine Honda head stem bearings, fork seals and foot peg rubbers it needed in order to get a roadworthy.

All of that was over a year ago. It only took me a couple of months to fix the forks/head stem and learn plastic welding for the fairings. I then got a RWC and put on a club permit (since it is a historic vehicle). I've been riding it occasionally, but recently been using it a bit more since I still had plenty riding days to use up before the club permit renewal date. Now that I know the old beast a bit better, I want to fix the issues I've noticed.

Edit: I think I have successfully uploaded a few pictures (nice idea having personal galleries).

Last edited by UNM; 05-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 AM

Sounds like it's a co-operative project. Hope it gives you many happy miles..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 AM
UNM

I'll probably ride the CBR for a year or so and then move it on when something else catches my eye.

It is a very enjoyable bike to ride and has been extremely low cost so far - only spent about $60 in paint and a heap of time to get it on the road.

Just spent $72 for the stick coils and harness shipped from USofA - I prefer to buy locally, but the wreckers near me wanted more than twice that. I really hope the Denso 129700-3881 coils work.

Ideally, I'd like something a bit lighter for around town, but on the open road that power is still enough to bring a bit of a smile to my old face.