New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to forum, CBRs and bikes in general

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to forum, CBRs and bikes in general

Howdy guys,

I'm John. just picked up my first bike today and figured i'd try to contribute as well as gain tons of wisdom from the experience floating around here.

pretty new to bikes, heard good things about CBRs and found an 02 954rr for a decent deal. cant post pics yet since i just made the account, but ill have some up soon.

having said that, I'm hesitant to even post here. but i figure it's worth the insight.

it has 17,000 miles and was definitely stunted and wheelied, any mechanical issues i should be aware of? on the plus side, since its not in perfect shape im not afraid to take it apart and modify it. i love tinkering so im interested to see what you guys have done with yours and hopefully gain some inspiration.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Don't be afraid to post, however your writings will have to be passed by an admin a few times just to make sure ur for real, it'll pass quickly. You can use photobucket or some other pix sharing site to link pics here, most do it that way.

An ex stunter eh? First of all gotta say the blade is a heck of a machine for a first bike, load of power, some might even say too much. Take it easy with it and learn to ride properly before seeing what the bike can do cause it will have the potential to go from 0 to F*** in a heartbeat!

When you're tearing it apart you might wanna check the frame for possible cracks cause it's probably seen some asphalt as a stunt bike, check the gearing cause it probably has tighter teething than normal making it catapult from stantdstill and scream it's heart out on highway, push it back and forth with the front brake engaged to see if there's slack in the steering column bearings, and without brakes on first gear to see if there's slack in the cush drive rubbers between the sprocket flange and rear rim, might wanna change all fluids and flush the radiator as some of those bikes have been known to have some overheating issues, and while you're at it swap the thermostat and check does the cooling fan work.

That should keep you busy for a while

Oh! And since its an old stunter check the clutch for proper and smooth action and make sure it doesn't slip.

Last edited by Mattson; 12-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi and welcome
as said the 954rr is alot of bike for your first bike, when your up and running just take it easy

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Welcome from another new guy. Have fun and be careful on your new bike. My biggest recommendation is to go out and buy some good gear. Remember, dress for the slide, not the ride.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! We mostly use photobucket here, as you can easily embed the pics to the site. As far as the 954 and weaknesses, they tend to have an issue with piston slap that I've become aware of with a few motors that I've built. But other than that, they're solid.

Post some pics!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips mattson, I definitely wouldn't have thought of most of that. was planning on doing a fluid flush, ill search around on the overheating thing because it got pretty hot (like 240) when i let it idle for a while. never heard that phrase before lowcel, but i like it. i definitely will be very conservative with it, im not really the risk taking daredevil type, just didn't want to be looking for a bigger bike in a year, it already feels a lot more natural than i was expecting.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum John,

Good advice from the guys above. We like our members to be around for a loooooong time!

Cheers, SB

Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Welcome to CBRF...