New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Looking for your advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for your advice

Hello and good day all !

I am not only new to this site , but I am also new to ridding .
I have just bought a 2012 CBR 250 and I was hoping for some honest advice , did I make a wise choice or did I go to small ?

My thoughts were / are , that it will be a good learning bike and if I decide to upgrade to something bigger next year I can always sell the 250 as " learning bikes " tend to hold there value .

I would love to hear your comments on my choice for a starter bike and what type of expereance you think I might have as I start my learning process .

Thanks in advance for any advice and once again , hello from the new guy !

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome member! Glad to have you join.

1. Wise choice! This shows that you are mature & understands the responsibility one must need to have when riding.

2. Hey, those 250 can still kick ***...so gear up. ATGATT...

3. MSF course...complete it and get your M1 M2 license.

Practice practice practice! Avoid rush hour!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks for your input !

And yes , I should have mentioned , I have signed up for the learning course at the local college . My class starts June 8th and I can't wait ! However , there is a good chance that I will have to ride my 250 in the driveway before then :P

On a side note , with the 250 do I have many options as far as after market mods to add my own personal touch ?

Thanks again !

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

welcome to the forum.

you made a good decision, the 250 is a great learner. the truth is anyone can start on any bike, but the smaller ones tend to be more forgiving of rookie mistakes. you will learn how to ride better on a smaller bike, then move what you know to a larger one later.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kudos for signing up for the riders course!

I agree w/ the others that the 250 is a great learning bike for the reasons mentioned above. Take your time & learn properly. Be safe, careful, & *ride your own ride*.

Not sure of what options are available for the 250 but there have to be some! ;-) Hope you get some good ideas to make it your own.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM

i think youve made a good choice man. i have a liter bike and am considering getting a 250 for an around the town thumper when 150 hp just doesnt seem sane those bikes sound delightful with an aftermarket pipe on. i learned on an 88 (yes the same year i was born) honda hawk gt 650. its was a good first bike to lay down with only 40 someodd hp. just enough to still get you in trouble.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 AM

Well done for going for a 250 and not something over 600 as you certainly have your head screwed on

I passed my test then few years later got a nsr125r threw that down road twice and bent frame.

Few years after that next bike was a 1989 cbr6 (jellymould ) and had that 5 years before i scrapped it and it took 4 years before i broke a lever on handle bars after dropping it and throwing it down road that thing was bullet proof but i learnt from my mistakes big time

I now have a 97 cbr6 and best bike I have ever owned

Yes bikes like cbr250 do hold there value and a good way to start by upgrading later on

One thing you will find to start with is it can be very tiring if your not used to riding a bike compared to driving something lie a car reason being is that you have to thin a lot more because bikes are less likely to be seen you have to constantly think ahead and see everyone as a idiot that you come across on the road even if they aren't it is just a way of protecting yourself from being hit.

I always ride with headlight on even tho I have a brighter bulb then the standard bulb people still don't see me until i put main beam on then they know about it but that's only if there in front of me.

I have even tried wearing brightly color clothes and people still haven't seen me so i tend to stick with all black clothes and still have had people not see me and my crash helmet put a nice big dent in someones van door

Talking of clothes a lot of people have leathers that match bike colors and when they sell bike then they have to buy new clothes to match new bike which costs a small fortune so what I do is buy all black clothes that way they match any color on any bike but there again I am on a very low income.

As for customizing your bike there are lots of things that are universal like wheel stickers which are good as there reflectors and help you be seen better from the side at night