Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice

ok i wrecked my 02 f4i about two months ago. hit some gravel and lowsided, bike slid into a mailbox. i went and had an estimate done on it. the estimate they gave me was for like $3400 but they did a half *** job on the estimate. but thats another story. insurance came and looked at it and did what they do, and they gave me a check for $2800. now heres the options ive got.

1. take that money and have the shop fix the important stuff and then just slowly build it back up, but atleast do enough to get it street legal.

2. just screw taking it somewhere and fix it myself, which would mean i could do more to it cus i wouldnt be paying for labor and i can shop around and find good deals.

3. i owe around $4000 on her and with the check i have and what i could sell it for as is, i know i could pay it off and just get another bike.

#3 is what im leaning towards doing cus i really wanna get a 600rr and i think this would be a good time to do it but i just want some insight from you guys before i descide.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Default RE: need some advice

post the estimate,what does it need?
dont take a loss,unless you are forced to do so-there is alot of parts(used and new)on the market,with alittle bit of wit and
timing you can come out of this ahead!!!!-and with a good chunk of change to put down on a new bike!

o8

Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM

heres what i know it needs along with what the shop put on the estimate.

-new forks. they said theyre bent but both me and a friend cant seem to figure out where.
-he claims if the forks are bent then the front wheel must also be messed up, so he said it needs an entire front wheel assembly.again i dont see how, it looks totally fine.
-it needs everything for the front end assembly as far as new upper, gauges, air dams, windscreen, the whole shebang. its pretty much a streetfighter right now.
-it also needs lowers on both sides.
-the wiring harness is totally shredded. so many of the connections are either crushed or sliced and diced

now heres the figures they gave me. keep in mind this is not including the lowers and the new wiring harness. i realized after i had got it done and gave the estimate to the insurance company that they didnt put everything on there.
-parts=2533.00
-tax=126.75
-labor=700.00 they said itll take ten hours
-total=3359.75

Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Retired Moderator

The first option is OUT! Second option is way better and you would learn a ton. If you are in a state that has a winter, that might not be a bad option considering you woudln't be riding much anyway. I would also lean toward the third option, though. If you can get a loan or have the capital to start over, that is the way to go IMO. Keep us posted.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM

so they totalled your bike and gave you $2800 for a bike you owe $4000 on? Sorry dude you got *** raped HARD

BTW it will cost ya ~$1k max to fix it urself.

I wouldn't opt for an RR w/ that bike plus ur at fault accident on the record ur insuarance will be ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:11 PM

well i got the check from them yesterday. there was no info in the envelope besides the check so i dont know if thats what they think it should cost to fix it or if thats to total it. i cant call them until tomorrow so i dont know yet. but in any case i did get raped. ive been doing some online window shopping and i agree that i can do this myself for a lil over a grand so i think thats what im gonna do. i really do wanna move up to a 600rr but i dont wanna get rid of this bike if its gonna be this easy and cheap to do it myself. and yeah it snows here and gets pretty cold during the winter so it would be a good time to take advantage of the weather and just fix it all myself.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 PM

I would definatly say fix it your self if you can. take it to another shop and ask them what they think. find a mechanic that will actually show you where the fork bent and where the wheel is messed up. because them just saying "yeh its broke, you will need a new one." is not a good answer. not all shops are shady, but you would be suprised at what goes on. I worked in a hydrolic shop over the summer and we rented space out to a guy who repaired jet skis and ATVs and i saw some messed up things done to his costumers.

You should definatly be able to find some used parts for it and that would save you alot.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM

I cant believe you took the check. I dont know a single person that has never put up a fight against their insurance company. YOU tell them what you want. They work for you, cause its real simple to change insurance companies.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

I cant believe you took the check. I dont know a single person that has never put up a fight against their insurance company. YOU tell them what you want. They work for you, cause its real simple to change insurance companies.

Your bike isn't totalled if you got a check for the repair. They would have taken your bike if it was totalled. Now, what is your deductible because an at fault accident would mean the difference btw the repair bill and what they paid you. You should fix it yourself, use the rest of the $ to pay down that loan balance to an acceptable amount, and either sell or keep it.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Your bike isn't totalled if you got a check for the repair. They would have taken your bike if it was totalled. Now, what is your deductible because an at fault accident would mean the difference btw the repair bill and what they paid you. You should fix it yourself, use the rest of the $ to pay down that loan balance to an acceptable amount, and either sell or keep it.
yeah i didnt really think about that at first but i have a 500 deductible so that makes sense as far as what they sent me. and after thinking about it, it just makes too much sense to just buy my own parts and do it all my self and pocket the left over cash so thats what im gonna do. but i really appreciate all the insight and advice you guys gave me.

Quick Reply: need some advice