New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just starting out- cbr600f3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just starting out- cbr600f3

I've been meaning to get my license for ages now, but was recently pushed toward it by my friends generous gift of his cbr600f3.
It doesn't run yet, but it's in a garage and getting worked on.
So far i know it needs;
A battery.
Gauges/instrument cluster
To have the ignition and gas cap lock replaced. my friend with the title lost his keys at a party one night.
needs all it farings.
need to replace the airbox. previous owner had a different airbox top section taped to the intake. apparently he ran it like that. good lord.
To replace all the fluids because it's been sitting for over a year. With the fuel shut-off valve open.
It's going to be a project, but i hope by next spring i'll have everything fixed and be comfortable enough on a motorcycle to ride it.
wish me luck!
Kade

Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome, congrats on the f3 gift, make sure you get over to the f3 section to say hello and get any help you need, post some pictures up of your bike and the work (use photobucket or the like) best of luck with your project

Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to cbrf. Plenty of help around if ya need it. Congrats on the gift.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! That's not too much work at all. Simple stuff, hit up ebay for the parts. We'll be here to help you with anything you get snagged on.

Post some pics when you get the chance! We love projects

Old 08-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome Kade!

Congrats on the free project - be sure to start a thread showing your work, with lots of pics.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Any suggestions on where i should post my project thread?
Since the bike hasn't run in over a year, what maintenance would you suggest before i start it?
I was going to definitely change the oil and coolant. Do you think i should worry about the transmission? The drive chain is really rusty. i was going to clean it and hope for the best, and replace it when i'm sure i can get the bike running.

The bike came with a lot of extra parts (there's another rolling chassis too) a lot of which are engine parts, like a cam chain guide, various studs, etc. my friend saw it run. do you think i should take off the head cover to make sure it's not missing anything in there?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadeinphilly
Any suggestions on where i should post my project thread?
Since the bike hasn't run in over a year, what maintenance would you suggest before i start it?
I was going to definitely change the oil and coolant. Do you think i should worry about the transmission? The drive chain is really rusty. i was going to clean it and hope for the best, and replace it when i'm sure i can get the bike running.

The bike came with a lot of extra parts (there's another rolling chassis too) a lot of which are engine parts, like a cam chain guide, various studs, etc. my friend saw it run. do you think i should take off the head cover to make sure it's not missing anything in there?
You should start your thread in the F3 section: CBR 600F3 - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

The first order of business should be to get an F3 manual, if you haven't already - personally, for any bike I buy, I pick up a factory manual, and also a Haynes.

With the bike not running for a year, you might be able to get away with running some SeaFoam in a few tanks, to purge/dissolve fuel varnish, but be prepared to have to pull the carbs for a thorough cleaning.

Other than that, what you mentioned is a good start, with the changing of oil and filter, flushing/replacing the coolant, and cleaning and re-lubing the chain, to see what you can still get out of it.
In addition, it might be a good idea to put in new brake fluid and bleed the system, since this is pretty easy, and obviously, check your brake pads for wear.

I wouldn't remove the cam cover unless you need to, though depending on the mileage, and when it was last done, if ever, you might want to consider doing a valve clearance check, which is due every 16,000 miles.
Other more involved work, that I would do if it were mine, would be to drain the fork oil, and put new fresh oil in, as this is probably the most neglected fluid service with about any bike.

Good luck with all the work, and you'll surely get plenty of help from fellow F3 owners, when you start a thread in the F3 section!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Somebody else getting a free bike, lucky devil

Old 08-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Official Glory Detailer

Hi welcome to the forum !! Looks like you have a great project bike going !! Lets see some pics