New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just a lone squid in the suburbs of Jersey looking for some friends :,(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a lone squid in the suburbs of Jersey looking for some friends :,(

I’m Boliviano, I just bought my first motorcycle(a 2003 CBR600RR). Got my permit the day after I bought it and registered it right there. I went home, hopped on it, stalled out about 477292938839202 times, dropped the bike on my leg taking off too fast turning from a stop(swerving into oncoming traffic, ohmy****), finally got the takeoff down, next day I was on main roads(not gonna lie, I stalled out a couple of times at green lights, partly due to nerves/partly due to squid), & the day after that I hit my first highway. I’ve been riding for two weeks now and it’s addictivE AFFF! I got the bike for 3 grand, the horn doesn’t work, I have to keep turning the key over and over until the low beam turns on(idk what’s up w that), I’ll be buying new tires, the tires are pretty worn, eventually new fairings because it has been dropped a few times before I got it, but besides all that it seems to be in great condition. 13.5k miles on it when I bought it. I’m going to get my license the end of October(renting a scooter for that). I’m going to be learning how to keep up with maintenance myself because I don’t have one of those money trees(still on the lookout). But anyway my boy told me about this forum and I was totally like ‘oh **** there’s others out there like us?!’ So yeah, I’m new but I’m totally about that life broham. So what it do, what the biness is? Holler back young’n

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you may be misunderstanding the term "squid." A squid is someone that rides without protective gear, i.e. people that ride in shorts and a t-shirt. Just because you're a new rider doesn't necessarily mean you're a squid. I'm a relatively new rider myself but I'm most certainly not a squid.

Regardless, welcome to the forums! I highly recommend that you take an MSF course. The stats say that by taking the course you reduce your risk of death by a lot, and you'll come out of it as a much more skilled rider.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Boliviano, just got here myself. Yes, take a safety class even if your state doesn't require it - The first couple years of riding are the most danger and injury prone. One thing I would recommend is when first learning to work on a bike don't change the tires yourself, and a screwdriver is not a tire tool lol! Buy them from a local shop and have them install. A good place will let you watch.

Be safe and have fun!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Believe me you don't want to be a squid!

They're called squids, because that's what they look like when they get scraped-up off the road!

Glad you're enjoying the ride, have fun, but stay safe