Just got myself an F3 - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just got myself an F3

Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Default Just got myself an F3

Whatís up!

I recently purchased a 1998 CBR600F and decided to join the forum. Iíve been riding for about 8 years but have only owned Harley Davidsons. Always enjoyed riding my friendsí sport bikes so decided it was time to get one for myself. She needs a lot of TLC and I didnít pay much for her at all - I knew I was getting into a project; now Iím trying to learn the inís & outís of carbureted bikes. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!!! Iím going to rebuild the carburetors and replace the shift fork (as I believe itís bent) and see how she runs once thatís out of the way.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 PM

All new fluids (oil + filter, coolant, brake fluid, you'll have to decide if you want to fool with the fork oil). Check the plug connections from the stator to the Reg/Rect for signs of overheating.

What makes you think you have a bent shift fork?

Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by EchoWars View Post
All new fluids (oil + filter, coolant, brake fluid, you'll have to decide if you want to fool with the fork oil). Check the plug connections from the stator to the Reg/Rect for signs of overheating.

What makes you think you have a bent shift fork?
Good advice, thank you! I think the shift fork is bent based on how 2nd gear rides. As soon as I hit the gas it either sputters badly or drops into N....Did a bit of research (a few mins browsing) and seems like this could be the result of previous owners doing power wheelies. No gear besides 2nd acts like this.

I also think my jets are probably clogged because when Iím accelerating in ANY gear, I notice a dip in power around 6,500 rpm. And if Iím in 6th on the highway, once I hit about 85 mph Iím at about 6,500 rpm and she lurches. Wonít go any faster.

I paid $650 for the bike so I expected some of these issues. Just hope it isnít too big of a deal to fix them. And hope thereís not bigger, underlying issues...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 AM