New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Joining the motorcycle community. Have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the motorcycle community. Have a question.

Hey everybody. I am new to the forum and motorcycles in general. I am very knowledgeable with cars and wanted to move onto motorcycles because I have always wanted one. I am going to check out a Honda CBR 600 f2 tomorrow and was wondering if there are any common problems that I may want to look out for? I talked to the owner and the bike was dropped once. It just happened on a slick road when he was going under 10 mph. I know with that I should definitely make sure the bike rides straight and stuff. Also, the bike seems like it is a great deal. He is selling it because he is upgrading to a bigger bike and just doesnt have time for both. He wants to get 1500 for the bike, also I would get a helmet and a jacket with it. Any other advise would be great. Thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phillycheese917
Hey everybody. I am new to the forum and motorcycles in general. I am very knowledgeable with cars and wanted to move onto motorcycles because I have always wanted one. I am going to check out a Honda CBR 600 f2 tomorrow and was wondering if there are any common problems that I may want to look out for? I talked to the owner and the bike was dropped once. It just happened on a slick road when he was going under 10 mph. I know with that I should definitely make sure the bike rides straight and stuff. Also, the bike seems like it is a great deal. He is selling it because he is upgrading to a bigger bike and just doesnt have time for both. He wants to get 1500 for the bike, also I would get a helmet and a jacket with it. Any other advise would be great. Thanks
Hey and welcome. if the name is anything to go by, you're in Philly like me.

You say you're knowledgeable in cars so you should be able to hear any engine problems when he starts it up. I'd say ask him where he's kept it (outside or garage), when he last rode / started it, check the tread on the tires. According to most here, the regulator / rectifier seems to be the CBR's weak spot. But is easily replaced when / if it does go. What sort of maintenance has he done on the bike? If he says shop, ask for the receipts if he's got them.

How much damage was done to the body when he dropped it? Fairing replacement is either costly (especially buying OEM) or very time consuming (I'm slowly buying a replacement set on Ebay and will have to repaint them).

Oh and sign up for the MSF Basic Rider's Course. Here in PA, it's free after you get your permit. So if you're new to motorcycles, there's no reason not to do it. I'm not new to bikes but its been so long I'm taking the course on Aug 26th with a friend in S. Philly.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was born in philly but now I live in florida. I have already taken the MSF course. Thanks for the info.