New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

how to change gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change gears?

just got a 2000 f4... had my dad ride it home for me

and i took it around the block.... have a few questions

what exaclty is the gear shift pattern?..... from neuatral... One Up... and 5 down?
im having the hardest time finding neatural... whats a tip?

it has a few electrical problems... out of the 4 turn signals... only the front right one stays solid... the remaining ones are off... and only blinks when using the turn signals are used....

the rear left one blinks FASTer then the rest of them

and the FRONT left one... doenst blink at all.. its dead.
---

i wanna take it to a shop in a week... for a maintanance... since it is a USED bike... 10,000 miles.... what are some normal things i should get checked out?---
-----

i think i am too tall for the bike... while riding... when i put my feet on the pegs... i start to cramp up by my hips... and id have to slow down and striahgt out my leg... to relieve it... is this normal for noobs?.... or am i too tall?... i am 6'2.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: how to change gears?

Ok... shift pattern on a normal bike is:

1st is all the way down, N is half a click up in between 1st and 2nd and the rest are up.

But the F4 is very easily converted to a GP or reverse **** pattern just flipping the linkage over.That means 1st would be all the up and the higher gears are then down.Make sense or did I just loose you?

N

Is normal and you would press the lever down for lower gears and raise it up for higher gears

N

This is a modified GP or reverse shift pattern and you would have to raise the lever for lower gears and press down for higher gears.

Did that make more sense?

You turn signal problems, sounds like the bulb is out in the left front or the wires are damaged or disconnected.
The front are marker lights/turn signals.The rear are signals only so they are right.Check your bulb then the wiring for the front left.

Let me know how this goes and then ask more questions.... PM me to make sure I reply..... PM me to make sure I reply.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Yeah, that is most likely one of the problems. Try to replace the bulb first. Only the front two should stay on I believe. if not, check the wiring. But if a bulb is out that will account for why the front left isnt working as arunning light and why the rear is blinking faster.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

When you take it to the shop...Have them do a compression test, check the brakes and check for basic wear and tear issues. This will tell you where bike is from a maintenance perspective. This will also tell you what needs to be replace to make the bike more reliable. Good luck.

Also change the oil and run some Sea Foam through it to clean the carbs...There will be some initial spoke so prepare yourself.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

I think you got your answers....