New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey guys new member/rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys new member/rider

Hey everyone, whats up? I'm Nate, and just picked up my first bike last weekend. Its a red 07 cbr600rr and got it brand new off the lot still. I'm a new rider and got my permit yesterday and started riding it around the neighborhood and it feels surprisingly comfortable for my height (6'3). I also got all the gear when i bought the bike, I got an Arai RX7 Corsair helmet, Teknic perf leather jacket, icon superduty gloves and icon superduty boots.

What are some tips you could give a newbee rider? I take the safety course in 2 weeks, so for the meantime im keeping it to the neighborhoods and areas close to my house and keeping the speed down. I live on a hill so today im going to work on starting facing up hill. And last but not least this looks like a great site i'm sure i'll be posting up quite often!

The mods i have in mind are:
tinted double bubble windscreen
frame sliders (i saw some T-rex ones on ebay...they any good?)
either two bro's or leo vince slip on, cant make up my mind
integrated taillight from jneer
flush mount fronts
red reflective wheel tape

Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Default RE: Hey guys new member/rider

Welcome to the site Nate. Congrats on the '07. It one h3ll of a machine!!!

My advice would to park the bike, wait for the Frame Sliders and Swing Arm Spoolsto come in. A set down at 0 mph can still cause $1,000 in damages without having protection. Motivation makes excellent No-Cuts. My KR Tuned Cut Sliders have been crashed tested and they held up amazingly.

+1 on Gear & MSF course. Always wear it. Dress for the crash not the ride.

Be aware of the new tires. They are slick. Give them a good 200 - 300 miles of break in time before doing any hard starts, braking, and leaning. Some things you want to practice over time are: Smooth Throttle control, Braking, Emergency Braking, and Countersteering.

A lot of great information can be found here at this link: https://cbrforum.com/m_360824/tm.htm

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM

awesome thanks. yeah the dude at the shop i bought the bike from warned me about the tires. My dads friend rides and he's coming over to help set up the suspension for me since im taller, so that it wont sag as much in the rear. Im going to cycle gear and buying sliders this friday.

The guy at the shop i bought my bike from said that if im going on any rides to always run the hi beam as well, because i'll be more visible and it will help with the battery to recharge? i understand the visibility part, but not the battery one lol...care to share some light on that?

One more question, i have the Arai RX7 corsair, and want to get a mirrored visor. Is it hard to see out of the tinted kind at night? I dont plan on riding at night, but just wondering if I should keep the clear one in my backpack or something if im going riding around dusk. Do they make any that 'transition' like glasses do? I saw one online but it wasnt for my helmet.

and wow your bike is sick, how'd you get the graphics outlined in black like that, it makes them stand out a ton on that color scheme and look awesome!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM

oh i almost forgot i looked like an idiot yesterday when i went to my friends house. he lives like 3 blocks away so i cruised over there and pull up in his driveway. i hadnt gotten the shifting down so i left it in first and turned the bike off. he came out and i tried starting it and was like "wtf" it wont start! I didnt know as a safety measure it wont start if the kick stand is down and youre in first. i finally figured it out, but not after him going "dude....start it!" haha. Practice practice practice!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM

Welcome! Sounds like your on your way to a great start.

+1 on the gear and safety course

Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Domin8

My dads friend rides and he's coming over to help set up the suspension for me since im taller, so that it wont sag as much in the rear. Im going to cycle gear and buying sliders this friday.

The guy at the shop i bought my bike from said that if im going on any rides to always run the hi beam as well, because i'll be more visible and it will help with the battery to recharge? i understand the visibility part, but not the battery one lol...care to share some light on that?

and wow your bike is sick, how'd you get the graphics outlined in black like that, it makes them stand out a ton on that color scheme and look awesome!
Hey Nate,

Running with both Headlights will increase your visibility, but as far as recharging the system... thats BS. When running with both headlights you're actually putting more load on your bikes electrical system. I'd be careful, because some officers like to pull bikes over for running both lights in VA at least. If you're going to do this, adjust your high beam down a tad.

Great job on setting your suspension early. This will help save your tires and make the bike feel much more stable when riding.

Thanks for the compliments on the pinstripping. I used 1/4" automotive pinstripping from my local AutoZone store and just did small sections each day taking my time.