New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

heres the deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heres the deal

well heres the deal.....i just bought my first bike a 03 cbr 600rr.i am already afraid to ride but i figured i will take the msf and go easy on my permit.i looked at that post in the sights and sounds about riders dying this year.i'm having second thoughts.that scared the hell out of me.i have friends that have cruisers and am gonna try to ride with them but i dont know if they can offer to much advise on riding a sport bike.i dont know i guess i just wanted to put it out there i guess maybe get some feedback. i truley am looking foward to meeting people and getting out there to ride.hey if there is anyone in jersey close to where i live let me know.i tried to add a pic but the file is to big and i dont know how to compress it.thanks for listening

Old 04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Default RE: heres the deal

Hey man #1 im new to this site but these people are pretty much kick @** people all the way around.
#2 dont let that site scare you that was some what true but for the most part BS if you drive safe, wear a helemt, and pay attention then you should be ok but it does happen. I looked at that site to but i still want to ride. I dont even have my bike yet but I've been ridin since I was young im only 17 I raced motorcross for 2 years. I've only rode one bike on the highway and that was a CBR but It's awsome.

the real choice in the end is you but dont let that scare you out of it. Just remember you are taking a risk everytime you get on your bike. and

#3 if you end up sellin your bike lemme know

But hey just remember...Im only a Kid =P

Old 04-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Retired Administrator

Hello and welcome to the site.

The videos and pictures you see on here, and anywhere else, are to remind all of us what can happen. It only takes a moment of carelessness.

Bikes can be as safe as you make them. In a car you're still a target for careless idiot but you have a lot more protection. You've been warned now.

You will pick up a lot of tricks/trips riding with the guys on cruises if they are good/safe riders. You'll learn how to read the traffic and where you want to ride. Stay the hell out of blind spots and as you're scanning the road ahead, watch the heads of the cagers (car drivers). They don't always use signals, but they often look where they are going. Until you are comfortable with the bike, try to stay out of heavy traffic. Practice on side roads and parking lots. It might not sound like it'll help much, but practice slow circles and making stops in a parking lot. When I say parking lot, I mean one that's empty and not being used... like after hours. Try making slow turns as sharp as you can over and over. This will make you more comfortable with the bike and know what the bike and you can do. You will learn all of this in the MSF course.

Please ask any questions you have… any! If you don’t want to ask something you might feel is a “stupid questionâ€â€¦ PM me and I’ll help you out. But… there are no stupid questions

Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM

I am kind of in the same boat as you. The post of all the pics last week from a certian site really hit me hard at first. Hell it scared the SH@t out of me. As I thought about it though I started to look at it a little different. Now no one jump me for this, but I think a lot of the accidents and deaths on bikes are caused by stunting and excessive speeds. I just see no reason for flying down the highway at 140 MPH or doing stunts flying down the highway. Now not all happen because of that but I would say more than not. My suggestion would be to get educated(MSF Class), get comfortable on your bike with lots of practice, invest in some good gear and just be safe and smart about what you do. Best of luck.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:31 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Don't be scared....just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:17 AM

welcome. I lived in NJ before i moved to md, where in jersey are you from?

Take a MSF class. It will teach you a lot. Then just practice in lots and side streets,
building on what you learned. I don't know doncollins but listen to him that is good
advice. Practice the slow stuff, that will give you the brake, throttle, clutch control
you will need in riding( rear brake). Then practice emergency braking/hard braking.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 AM

Welcome! Although bikes can be dangerous they are also a lot of fun. Just remember to always respect the bike and KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and you will be fine.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM

thank you all for your responses.well looks like i can get some practice in this weekend its hard to find
a licensed rider that wants to ride with a green horn.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Ppl crash all the time...cars, planes, trains what ever....**** happens...
don't think about it....i have been in worse car accidents than i have bike...

But if you are riding scared....thats bad....you need to be comfortable and focused....
just relax....be alert...

Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 PM

a lot of people here are telling you not to be scared and not to think about it....and to just do it......... i say BE SCARED! you should be very scared that it could happen to YOU! so then you'll remember that everytime you take your bike out for a ride...it'll give you a better appreciaton and respect for your bike, as well as other bikers.

sooo...remember............be terrified...........

j/k

ride safe....once you get the hang of your bike....i'm sure your fears will dissolve eventually with some seat time. just take it easy. ride safe and smart

and knowing is half the battle!