New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello from Oregon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Oregon!

Hello from the great Pacific Northwest all! been doing some research these past few months on sportbikes and came across this forums and have been reading posts quite a bit in my free time. A little about me.

I'm 30 years old, live outside of Portland Oregon in the wine country,I would say I am an inexperienced rider that is looking for sound, solid advise. As a kid I grew up riding ATV's, around age 14 I bought my first 1987 YZ 125 and spent countless hours hitting the hills and trails with friends. Around 16 I sold my dirtbike and got into the car scene up until about 4 years ago...... fast forward......

March 09, 2010 I flew halfway across the states to be with my dad before he passed away, during that visit it was his wish that I took his 2000 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom and ride it like I stole it every day! One small problem, I don't have my endorsement. I brought the bike back home with me and put it in my garage, with the urge to fire that baby up and hit the highways. Friends would pop by and ask if had gotten my endorsement which I had not, I was encouraged to hit the DMV to take the knowledge test to get the permit. I did, and then it hit me..... Now what? I'd never ridden in traffic on public roads with metal cages whizzing by me, and the sheer thought of scratching,dropping,wrecking my dads precious bike was overwhelming.

A few weeks later a friend came by and we went to an empty parking lot so I could get familair with the front controls and slow speed maneuvers, all which came quick, it was time to hit the road and cruse! That season I put about 1000 miles on the pavement taking every opportunity I had to feel that freedom. One sunny Saturday out in the back hills of the wine country, some family and I were scooting along enjoying the ride, and then it happened.... I got caught up in thinking about how cool it would have been if my dad was on that ride with us, then.... I missed the sharp corner ahead of me. I slid off the side of the road, into some persons fresh cut yard and fishtailed for the next 50-75' while trying to keep the beast on 2 wheels. Luckily the bike and I were A OK!

This brings me to the present, everyone who has seen me ride or ask what I own say I am crazy for starting out on a 1200cc bike. While I do agree to a certain extent, I did feel very comfortable while riding this bike. Currently the bike down due to an unfortunate drop by a family member, bike did get some bruises and due to the tank sealer cracking it has clogged the carb up and I have just been staring at the bike working on it here and there.

While I do enjoy the fact that I own my father bike, I have been really tempted to buy a smaller CC CBR, take the https://team-oregon.org basic rider training course and get my full endorsement so I can get back on the pavement. I've talked about a 250CC and friends/other riders have said I would most likely regret that choice after riding the 1200cc Harley. I don't plan on racing, or getting crazy in the curves ( read above, a year later and I don't think my rear has un-puckered ) just want to find a reliable, bike that I can learn the proper techniques to keep myself and others on the road safe.

Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself and look forward to any and all advise thrown my way.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a story and a half! Yikes on the near-crash, very glad to read you got away with it!

I'm also inclined in saying you would get bored to a 250 bike pretty fast. Although the HD is a 1200 it's a long-bore twin so it's not straight comparable to a fast revving inline 4 600. I'd have to know your price range and what bikes cost there, but reading about your past with dirt slingers I'm assuming you can name the contents of a basic toolbox so doing a little basic maintenance souldn't be an issue.

I'd probably direct you in the direction of an F4, maybe even an F4i if the price is right. They are very reliable bikes that handle meekly when required but still pack a hefty punch in the higher revs once you feel comfortable enough to try. As for a first sport bike I'd probly steer clear of anything that says "rr" and definetely leave the fireblades alone. It basically boils down to what you want, a 1000f "hurricane" gets you far comfortably but is high and heavy for an inexperienced rider, older f3:s and f2:s even are great bikes but may require a some level of overhauling etc... look around what is available in your area, bring a friend along to see a candidate if you feel you don't know enough of them, test ride a few and see what they feel like. I wouldn't be surprised if there would be someone in your area from this forum that might let you have a go on his/hers.

Last edited by Mattson; 04-15-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Geez, a lot of bike to start out on. My dad also had a 1200 and they have some get up thats for sure. I think you would do best on a 600. Of course I will be biased and say grab an F4i. They are like tanks. My 600 has so much pull its ridic and honestly its much more than you will need most of the time. Very nimble and able to power out of any situation that could come up. At the same time isnt ridiculous. You sound like you got the basics down, but just for GREAT measure go take the msf class and get your full endorsement. Like Matt said its a whole different game when go from a cruiser to a sport bike. Our bikes are built for speed and being pushed to their limit isnt uncommon. They are made to go, and go well. Be careful out there. Good luck.

-Poss

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! That is a story for sure! It's very cool that you have your dad's bike, and I'm glad you and the bike are okay after your 'detour' from the road. Sorry to hear it's down at the moment, but it's also a good excuse to get to know your father's bike a little bit more. Make sure to do the work yourself and learn. Cleaning carbs is easy.

I'd advise against a 250 too. Especially if you were comfortable with the weight of the Sportster. It'd feel more like a bicycle than a motorcycle if you're used to your Harley.

BTW, I don't think you're crazy for starting out on a Sportster 1200, either. It's not like your 1200 puts out the same power as a 1199 Panigale. It makes about 65-70 hp. It does have a ton of torque. A lot of people start out on that bike and keep it. You have to take it easy when you're still learning, but that's with any bike honestly.

If you want to get a CBR though, there's nothing wrong with that. We have a few members on here that own both a CBR and a Harley.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I actually had the chance to ride a 2007 Ninja 250 today, I can def say that it felt a little weird. Being 5' 8 and around 230 lbs it did feel as if I was on a child's bicycle lol. I can only imagine the 250 line in any other model bike is probably going to feel the same? My Harley weighs in around 540 lbs, looks like the 600 CBR's come in around 410? And I do feel comfortable in the HD, will just take some use to going from forward controls to mid and being on a more nimble bike.

600's ( most models ) out here on the west coast really vary in the price range. I have seen bone stock to mild to custom race ready bikes from 2002-20012 in the price range of $2800 to $7000 in my area. I won't be looking at any of the heavily modified bikes as I most likely will have no use of the addons for awhile. My HD by no means in a stock bike, larger carb,hypercharger, vance and hines exhaust and other mods I'm sure I don't know about but like mentioned above, I do understand and won't underestimate the performance difference between the sportbike and the cruiser.

Thanks again all.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Official Glory Detailer

Welcome resolution ! You will do fine on that harly . Great bike and very dependable.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome ,

Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

Great intro!

Enjoy your time on the forum.

Cheers, SB