New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New from Oregon...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Oregon...

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in and say hello from Portland, Oregon. I'm new to this forum - but I've been reading it for a month or so. There are some great minds here with some good advice. Keep it up.

A little background:

I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life - currently own a 2006 CRF450R. I started riding street bikes about two years ago. My first street bike was a Harley Sportster 883. It was a good starter bike - but heavy as hell and not really my style. I have taken the Team Oregon safety class (equivalent to MSF?) with my wife before we started riding on the streets. I learned a million invaluable tips and lessons at that class - I'm glad I took it. I heard from many people that it's a waste and just go take the DMV test ... but I am glad I didn't listen to them. I had the Harley up until about 6 weeks ago. My wife and I both sold our Harley's. I ended up purchasing a 2008 CBR1000 (Black/Yellow - LOVE IT) and my wife got a Ducati Monster 696 (that bike is a blast to ride!).

I love the CBR. The power delivery is beautiful - nice and smooth. The comparison to the Sportster ... well, there is no comparison. I'm still in the "break-in" stage - getting my first service done next week when I hit ~600 miles. The bike is insanely full of power - I've heard it's a whole different bike above 8k RPM, but I haven't ventured that far yet. I want to ease into my transition. I (so far) don't have any complaints about the bike - but all bikes have their own little quirks.

I'm hoping that I will be brave enough to venture off into a beginner track day course after I get about 3,000-4,000 miles on the bike next year. You can't safely utilize this bike to its potential on the street - so I'd like to give the track a whirl - but a beginner course so I can take it at my own pace. That'll have to wait until I get a better grasp of what the bike is capable of - so I figure if I put 3-4,000 miles on it, I might be at the point I could take a beginner track course.

Sorry for the long introduction... keep safe, everyone.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Default RE: New from Oregon...

Sound begginings... Welcome to the forum. I also purchased a new cbr100rr 08 recently. There are some intelligent members here but there are also some that will fall to darwins theory of evolution. I hope you enjoy your new purchase as much as I enjoy mine. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Hey welcome Lakerfan. I rode an o6 1krr not too long ago and know exactly what you're talking about regarding power. I currently ride an F4i and the difference is pretty dramatic. The 1k was so smooth and fast but a little hard to corner with. I did take it over 8k rpm however, and it's SICK!!! But alas it's too much bike for me at the moment, it doesn't feel as nimble as my 600.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Welcome Lakerfan, and i hate you J/K i used to live in Troutdale for several years then i moved to Wisconsin. I just really miss being in Portland at times, just some great riding for you out there. Anyhow enjoy the rest of the season and be safe.