New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Harley Rider adding a 2006 CBR to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Harley Rider adding a 2006 CBR to the stable

Hi, all!

Engineer in this early '30s here. I've been riding motorcycles for the past eleven years. I love Harleys and am on my third one, a black 2015 Dyna Fat Bob (pic attached). I've ridden cross-country twice, I have my beginner and advanced MSF certifications, and I've logged a total of ~60k miles.

For the past year, an Army buddy has been trying to sell his 2006 CBR600RR. He was nervous to sell it online because of scammers, really limiting his scope. I like all bikes, but crotch rockets aren't really my thing. He recently made me an offer I couldn't refuse. For his '06 CBR600RR with less than 3k miles, never dropped, never even hooned, break-in service and 3k mile service completed, he's asking $2k. The only thing it needs is a license plate bracket (it was broken in the garage moving it around). Considering there aren't any in the area in as good of shape and the most expensive is going for $6,700, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

The bike only includes one key. From what I've been able to look up online, it seems some of the keys have a transponder in them? I was going to order a blank but I don't know which one to get. Also, it doesn't come with a manual, and I'd like to pick one up along with a dealer service manual. Any idea where I could download an electronic one (I'm willing to pay).

Also, since I'm used to bikes that have a "lifetime Kevlar belt" for the final drive, what is the maintenance on the sprockets/chain?

I'm driving down to San Diego in two weeks to get it. Any responses would be appreciate. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Harley Rider adding a 2006 CBR to the stable-image.jpeg  

Last edited by beef_weezle; 08-27-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Pics and stuff
Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to the forum, 2nd nobody here wants to see Harleys, and finally they're called sportbikes not crotch rockets. Haha just hacking on you. That is an amazing price for year/mileage/condition! I dont believe the 06 600's have "chips" in the keys, (if they do I wasted money getting ebay spare made for mine). Chain maintenance is a clean & lube thing, clean with chain specific cleaner or kerosene, lube with chain specific lube or differential lube/gear oil, for cars 80 or 90 weight. Thats what the manual says for my 08 CBR 1K. With only 2000 miles the chain & sprockets should be in good shape, as long as its not rusted. I used to buy alot of stuff from ebay (back when I made 100k a year). I've got factory shop manuals for all my cbr's and the Clymer or Haynes manuals, all from ebay. I'm old school, I like book manuals not computer manuals. I'm a idiot when it comes to computers, the only computer stuff I know how to do is buy from ebay, log on the forum, and FB. You should see me apply for a job online, holy hell what a nightmare, it takes me forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveer.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1- if you don't buy that bike, just take the fattest belt you have in your closet and beat yourself with it.
2 - condition inspection will tell you when the chain and sprockets are due for replacement. Clean, lube and adjust preserves it, but it is a wear item like brakes (and clutch believe it or not - somehow I haven't replaced one yet).
3 - don't call them CRs again (seriously bad manners).
4 - read up on the bike
5 - do a Track Day
6- rinse, lather, repeat
7 - welcome to the forum

Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

That's a killer deal for sure. There are not chips in the keys, at least there were in the '05s and nothing changed in '06 that I'm aware of.

Once you get used to the feeling of clip-ons and the rake and, I think you'll quite like the Honda.

As far as the chain, it really depends on what chain is currently on it as to how long it will last. General maintenance includes cleaning it, and checking for proper slack. If you're an engineer, I'm sure it will not be an issue.